• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broco II "bucks and jerks"

chrislang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Newbe here with 86 2.9l 5 speed.

I know you guys must have had this discussion come up, but I searched and cannot seem to find an answer.
Issue: Starts up and idles fine. When taking off it is fine, if you rev the engine up on take off. Idles fine, and will rev up fine parked in neutral. It stumbles and jerks violently upon acceleration between shifts. I just bought this, because it is in such good shape. No rust, immaculate interior.
The guy I bought it off of has tested virtually ALL of the sensors, changed both fuel pumps, drained the tank, replaced the computer, new plugs and wires.... NO CHANGE...

Temp. does not seem to matter, IE: does not start this acting up when hot, it can happen anytime. Vacuum issue,(can't find any) Timing? (set 10deg. BTDC)..Cold spark? Maybe I need to use the Motorcraft 42Cs? (not sure whats in it now)

The motor was swithed out to one with a lot less miles. The guy I bought it from wasn't sure of the year although he said it was newer.

Could it be the motor mounts?? I have a truck that acted like that when it needed motor mounts.(Runs fine in 5th gear when your accelerating) Seems to happen most when you are letting off the accelerator, then resuming acceleration.

I know you guys must have discussed this ad nauseam in the past. If so, please point me to the link.

I really like the BII and am determined to find the issue. I hope you guys can help. Any and all comments will be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is a Bronco, did you not see the bucking horse badge? :icon_twisted:

You might install a vacuum gauge in it and see what it is doing realtime as you drive it.

Probably a nonissue but you did unplug the dizzy when you set timing right?

chrislang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Probably a nonissue but you did unplug the dizzy when you set timing right?
By dizzy, do you mean the SPOUT plug? I did indeed unplug it. Does that stand for SPARK-OUT? It is not one of those typical TFI things about getting hot, then shutting off. As long as I am accelerating it seems to do ok. But in between shifts, it bucks when pressing the throttle as you release the clutch.

Thank you all for any info, as I am at a loss of ideas.......

:icon_confused:

Danni84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l 104k miles & 2.9l 245k miles
Transmission
Manual
"Seems to happen most when you are letting off the accelerator, then resuming acceleration"
I dont know if the 2.9 has it or not but my 2.8 did that and the EGR valve was stuck closed from carbon build up. Finally got it diagnosed after the 3rd mechanic looked at it. EGR valve and timing had it running well again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, dizzy = distributor = spout plug (implied, sorry)

chrislang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"Seems to happen most when you are letting off the accelerator, then resuming acceleration"
I dont know if the 2.9 has it or not but my 2.8 did that and the EGR valve was stuck closed from carbon build up. Finally got it diagnosed after the 3rd mechanic looked at it. EGR valve and timing had it running well again.
Thanks Dannie84!
I'll try that this evening or tomorrow. It can't hurt!

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Sounds like a faulty throttle position sensor

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Have you checked for play in the distributor shaft?

tdjar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an '86 as well and it does the same thing except it happens when I try to maintain a constant speed. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in or what speed I'm going. I haven't been able to get at this yet 'cause the input bearing went in the tranny , it is going back in this weekend, then it will be diagnosis time. I will post what I find and hopefully we can figure this out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals