• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 to 8.8 driveshaft/brakes

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have an 85 ranger 4x4 reg cab. 1350 case, 7.5 rear, spicer 2 piece drive shaft. will i have to swap drive shafts if i go to an 8.8? is so, i have to swap the rear output flange on my 1350 right? and will an 8.8 really "bolt in" no welding? if so, what years are direct bolt on? will my rear sway bar still bolt on? can i keep my drums off the 7.5? can i use the same shocks? is the flange on the 8.8 the same as the 7.5?
i know some of the years newer than my 85 have different drive shafts becuase its always been a pain getting the flange off the transfer case of a newer junkyard ranger when ever i've swapped blown cases.

thanks for all the help in the past TRS!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
'90-'92 4.0L V6 Rangers would have the bolt-in 8.8" for yours (later ones will still bolt in, but are 2" wider at the wheel flanges).
Use the whole axle, the brakes and everything else on it is better than your 7.5".

Edit:
As for the driveshaft, you may have to get a custom one made. The 8.8" flange is bigger than your 7.5" one, and I'm not sure a flange adapter exists for the tiny u-joints early Rangers had.
You could also modify the 8.8 flange by drilling & tapping new holes on it, although you'll probably want to have the bigger u-joints too.
(unless you have the A4LD auto trans, later driveshafts that would otherwise fit with the 8.8 would be too short).

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yes an 8.8 can "bolt in". If you happen to get a 31 spline you will need the larger u-bolts due to the larger tube diameter. All the 8.8s I've put in had 10in drums. If you have 9in drums you would be upgrading in that aspect. Aside from replacing the wear items such as shoes and wheel cylinders there are no modifications needed to the brakes. The shocks use the same location. You will be playing a few games with the driveshafts. There are a few patterns on the companion flange; you might luck out but with the small joints that is doubted. You should be able to get lucky in the yard and find some driveshafts and flanges to get it to work. If you have some skill you will be able to drill the companion flange. You'll have to pull the flange and use a drill press. Very highly doubted you will have success drilling it by hand with the flange still on the axle.

Matt

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
If you pull the flange off the 8.8 just call up Randy's and order the flange for a car application (mustang) it has the smaller 2.5" bolt pattern that will match the small joint RBV shaft.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you pull the flange off the 8.8 just call up Randy's and order the flange for a car application (mustang) it has the smaller 2.5" bolt pattern that will match the small joint RBV shaft.
However ths requires disassembling the differential and resetting pinion bearing preload.

all things considered it's easier to play driveshaft games.

An '85 4x4 may or may not have the "tiny" U-joints and if it has the "normal" U-joints you can rob the rear flange adapter off of any '90-97 Ranger
or most Aerostars that have the larger flange...

Or simply ask one of the resident yard crawlers (hint) if they have
the proper yoke adapter laying about (hint)

Depending on which trans he has he might be able to simply grab the entire driveshaft off of a later "larger flange" Ranger.

Do you have an A4LD? if so just get a driveshaft for a 1990-up Ranger
4x4 with the same bed length as yours (the 1985 manual trans is 2" shorter)

AD

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
my 91 8.8 has both patterns drilled into the flange.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
my 91 8.8 has both patterns drilled into the flange.

Unless you drilled it there yourself, no it doesn't.

what it has is the large four bolt pattern, twice
and two extra holes for attaching a puller to get the flange off if it doesn't come off readily.

AD

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
:haha:
Unless you drilled it there yourself, no it doesn't.

what it has is the large four bolt pattern, twice
and two extra holes for attaching a puller to get the flange off if it doesn't come off readily.

AD
yep you are right,i've messed with it enough i should know.spreading disinformation.:haha:thats what i get for voicing an assumtion.i always put the driveshaft back on in the same spot and never checked just assumed,thanks.

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info! i HAD an A4LD... but swapped over to an FM146 to keep my stock drive shaft length. the FM146 was the exact same length as my A4LD. the 1350 transfer case on my truck has an output flange that the u-joints on the drive shaft actually sit into. my drive shaft is the 2 piece style with the splined shaft covered by a boot. the u-joints on it are right at 2.5" across. the measurement i got for the length is 43.25" flange to flange. it was 46" from axle flange to base of my transfer case. the flange on my axle is right at 4.5" across. just so happens that i have another 1350 from a newer ranger with the shorter flat output flange laying around. i would rebuild any rear end i got with a new ring and pinion anyways so if that mustang flange would work, then i would be in business.
once again thanks to all that have replied.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals