• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

positive traction??

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i currently have a 97 mazda B2300 manual trans. and i want to know if there is a direct bolt on positive traction rear end like out of a 4x4 ranger or mazda that i can put under it so i can race a little i am currently putting a new clutch and wanting to put a turbo or nitrous on it any specifics answers would be greatly appreciated i was told that i could possibly just put the gears and axles out of a 4x4 in the rear end i have but i have no idea about rear ends at all and what i can do

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
so does that link basically say i can put a locker in my 2wd truck to simply make it a positive traction rear end????/

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
i bought this mini spool from jegs for $79.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If you're after an actual locker of some sort, the Aussie Locker or LockRight might be what you're looking for. It simply replaces the spider gears in your stock open diff carrier.

If you'd rather have a limited slip (aka "Posi"), swapping the entire axle for a salvage yard axle with a factory L/S is generally the easiest route (you could install a L/S diff into your existing axle too, though this usually requires messing with the gear setup, which is pretty tedious work).

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
well i am just interested in getting both wheels turning for better grip im gonna start running it at the drag strip on the weekends a little and like i said rear ends are foreign to me so what would be the best and easiest way to do it???

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
what does the mini spool do rico????

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
i have a 89 ford bronco the big one not the bronco ll will the rear end from it fit under the ranger

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
A spool basically replaces the spiders and locks up both wheels so they always turn at the same speed. Some people "lincoln lock" up the spider by sinkiing some welding rod into the spiders and lock them up that way, but if you're looking to drag, get a spool. If your Bronco has an 8.8" axle it will fit but requires a bit of modification to the axle to accept the Ranger's springs and shocks.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks for the info on the spool but if it does the same thing as welding the gears together then thats not good is it?? i have been told not to do this on a daily driver because when you try to turn the inside tire will churp and hop and it binds the gears a lot and could be dangerous?????

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, if it's your DD, and you want to drag it, get a selectable locker like a detroit or ARB. That way you can lock it for racing and unlock it for driving. A spool or welded gears will cause tires to wear out, but if you weld the spiders good and tight and correctly they shouldn't bind. It will chirp a bit and might hop, but if it's a strictly race vehicle go ahead and spool it. If it's your DD and racer, get a selectable locker.:icon_thumby:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
^Thank you! That's what I was going for but couldn't remember. Those things are fantastic. My cousin has one in the front axle of his Ranger and it just goes all day long.

mazda warrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
2.3 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
ok i have found out that my bronco rear end it an 8.8 with 3:55 gear set and its limited slip so my question now is will it fit under the mazda B2300 aka ranger as far as the width i cannot find out the width of it anywhere on the net and i dont know from where to where to measure from on both vehicles to make sure it will fit without just pulling it and trying it but i would rather not do that work if it aint gonna work or be too wide

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals