• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I tell what engine I have?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, at least you are starting putting it together...beats waiting for things to happen...hope it works out...probably an oil seam or something...or maybe mismatched...

Never got that far with a motor rebuild so I have no idea...

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I started putting my engine together today. I didn't get far. You can see in the picture the bearing doesn't match the cap. I'll have to bring them down to the machine shop Monday.
EDIT- the pic isn't very good but the cap has a notch on the side and the bearing tab for the notch is in the middle.

That bearing (that also has the thrust bearings) goes in the center main cap. All the grooved main bearings should go into the block for oiling.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That bearing (that also has the thrust bearings) goes in the center main cap. All the grooved main bearings should go into the block for oiling.
So the BIG bearing that has the sides on it goes on the center main cap?
That would explain why one main cap has a larger groove in it!

I never put one of these together before. Is there a shop manual you would recommend?

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Haynes manual for 1983-1992 Rangers should cover everything you need to rebuild it. That bearing with the sides is the main/thrust bearing they both go on the number 3, or center main.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Kenneth. I already have a Haynes manual - it's for the year my engine came out but a Mustang manual. Same engine basically.
I just ordered a used Chiltons manual off Amazon for $8.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Update- I got my crank, rods, pistons and oil pump in (the block). Everything looks great so far.
My friend that's going to help (read that - I'm going to help) me get the engine installed in the VW just called. He's coming over this weekend to see what I've done.
This is the biggest step in getting this conversion done!

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you get the engine in the VW put up some pic's, I'd like to see it.

John Smith

Reaction score
just a quick note..

Update- I got my crank, rods, pistons and oil pump in (the block). Everything looks great so far.
My friend that's going to help (read that - I'm going to help) me get the engine installed in the VW just called. He's coming over this weekend to see what I've done.
This is the biggest step in getting this conversion done!
when you installed the crank, did you take care to check the rear main journal halve to check for the need for a thin line of rtv for proper sealing?...just a caution while building..

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
John- no, I didn't. I followed the manual but don't remember that.
I'll go back and check that in the book. Or, is that one of those tips that aren't in the manuals.
I'd hate to have to go backwards but will if it's necessary.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never put any type of sealer between the rear bearing cap, and the block, and never had any major leaks. The most I've seen is just a very minute amount of seepage between them.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I did go and look in my Chilton manual . It says to put a little sealant there, but it's showing a two-piece seal. My engine has a one-piece seal.
I don't think it would hurt to take off that one cap and put some RTV there but I'm going to wait for my friend to come over this weekend and see what he says.
He used to dirt-track these engines so I'm guessing he'll know.
One other thing, another reason I'm changing engines is I can't stand oil leaks. The VW's leak so much the VW peeps say they don't leak, they just mark their spot.
I'm tired of oil leaks, adjusting valves and generally having to baby this VW along. I'm hoping the 2.3 (with all new everything) and no EMPI parts(Empi = Chinese =yucky crap!) will mean happy driving!

Edit- One more one more thing, earlier I posted the weight of my truck as almost 5000 lb.s. I was wrong. It is 2650. The 5K is fully loaded.
So, with proper gearing and tires, I should get some good MPG!

Last edited:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Putting a just a little bit of sealer there wouldn't hurt.

P.S. The EMPI stuff wasn't that good 20 - 30 years ago.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Edit- One more one more thing, earlier I posted the weight of my truck as almost 5000 lb.s. I was wrong. It is 2650. The 5K is fully loaded.
So, with proper gearing and tires, I should get some good MPG!
Pics...can't wait to see this...and before you try burning the tires off I hope you give it a good break in...I've heard 100 km and change oil...then 2500 and change it again...what is your plan on that or what do you recommend?

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I break in the cam (this is from VW experience) by running the engine at between 2,000- 2,500 RPM for the first 20 minutes. Shut down the engine. Check for any leaks. Change the oil. Run for 500-600 miles. Change the oil. Then change oil normally.
Is it usually done different on these engines?

John Smith

Reaction score
A link to another post..

John- no, I didn't. I followed the manual but don't remember that.
I'll go back and check that in the book. Or, is that one of those tips that aren't in the manuals.
I'd hate to have to go backwards but will if it's necessary.
A great post for checking the variables about a leak-free motor..

http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=055031;p=0#000001

Quote..."Yes towards the outer corners...if you look at the main cap, you will see the corner that mates with the corner in the block is not square....

So there is a little triangle shaped channel that leads from the crank case to the outside of the block on the left and right sides of the main cap....

Guess what people think is leaking oil...the main seal when its really the main cap. Just enough to leave a silver dollar sized drop every time you park and drive you (me) nuts.....

My current motor is 99.99% leak free and I am now 99.99% sane....."

another quote..

Originally posted by johnk&triumph:
Its the corners that leak not the two mating surfaces.

When you look at without silicone, you can see day light.....through the two corners...

I will post a pic when I get a chance.

jk

Looked at a bare block and main cap; I see what you're talking about now. The Chilton manual specifically adresses this issue. But I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere in the in the 1987 or 1992 Ford manuals. Maybe its addressed separately in a Ford TSB.

This post is a conversation about turbo'd motors., but any crankcase pressure will cause some leaks...

I hope it goes well for you..good project

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals