• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thermostat Question.

Wigidwack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 1996 Mazda B3000 and I've been doing a small amount of maintenance that I'm capable of. I ordered some parts such as brakes, shoes, drums, rotors, plugs, and wires. None of these tasks were beyond my capabilities, but I also ordered a new thermostat. I don't think I'm up to the mechanical challenge of flushing a system, replacing a thermostat and getting it all filled back up and working without air pockets.

My question is this: Do I even need to replace my thermostat?

I've owned this truck for the past 6 years, but it was only my every day driver for about 3 years. I probably put 30-35,000 miles on it in those three years and about 5,000 miles on it in the last 3 years. Unfortunately my odometer stopped working some time ago, I replaced the cluster, but the new one has stopped working as well. I don't mind that it doesn't record mileage, I probably will never get rid of the truck. In the 6 years I've owned it, this is the first brake job it has had, I've replaced one clutch, and besides that, not a major repair. My temperature gauge seems to work, it heats up steadily and maintains its place right in the very middle of the gauge. Should I leave well enough alone and just wait until I have an issue with the cooling system to start replacing/flushing things?

All comments about the subject will be read and taken into consideration. I am quite honestly on the fence about the situation.

Thank you,
-Ben

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
i wouldn't replace it it seems to be working atm. As far as worrying about flushing and refilling it is not to big of a deal. I have done it and never had a problem. Just follow what the repair manual says and you should be fine. If you really don't think you can and it needs to be done take it to the local shop since you already have the part it they should take care of it pretty quick. Make sure you get a gasket it too.

Wigidwack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply! Would you say that flushing the system needs to be done as a scheduled maintenance, or is it an "If it ain't broke don't fix it?"

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
some say yes some say no.

If it looks nasty or has something in it then yeah flush it. If it looks good and test fine then I say let it be unless you just need to get in the garage to get away from someone special.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
only a ph tester can be used to determine if it is in need of a change (if you are not going to do it at the interval recommended in the manual). over time coolant breaks down and the ph level rises and it becomes more acidic which will eventually lead to heavy corrosion of the aluminum parts in your cooling system. the fins on your radiator and heater core can start to disintegrate and even plug up as a result of broken down coolant. i would say that pulling the lower radiator hose to drain the block and opening the petcock on the radiator would be sufficient enough if you dont have acces to a flushing machine. just letting the cooling system go until it breaks can become very costly very quickly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals