• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

efi 5.0 with 2.9 harness

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Found out from a fellow Ranger enthusiast that for the 2.9L to 5.0L swap, solder in 2 more injector plugs and run an 89 F150 ECM. The 2.9L and the F150s are batch fire injection and the pinouts for the ECM were the same. He told me he ran the F150 box just to make sure the pulse-width for the injectors was correct and would not starve the engine for fuel. But he said you could probably get away with using the 2.9L ECM in a pinch.
would this work? if so, my brother has a spare efi 5.0 high output laying around..

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it does, I actually did it last weekend. Only takes a couple hours to wire and that was taking my time. I made a new injector harness completly though and had to switch connectors for the tps, and extend my iac wiring but it does work, I also used the 5.0 computer though as with my research the speed density computers are matched to the intake setups(car vs. truck vs. B2 ect.)

red rocket

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
carbed 5.0
Transmission
Manual
well i think im going to give this a shot, what year ecm did you use

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
What year 2.9 can do this (if all awesome) and what years 5.0 will work with this? This info is great to know and should be in the tech library.

waynaferd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
EDIT: nm, I'm starting out with a 4cyl!!

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used a 91 f150 ecm, I believe all speed density ecms have the same pinouts though, If you wanted to double check just find the pinout for each ecm. also dont forget the knock sensor plug while you are at the jy getting your connectors.:icon_cheers:

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I used a 91 f150 ecm, I believe all speed density ecms have the same pinouts though, If you wanted to double check just find the pinout for each ecm. also dont forget the knock sensor plug while you are at the jy getting your connectors.:icon_cheers:
I can't recommend this style of wiring, as I've not done it, but remember that the HO ECU's (Mustang/Cougar/TBird/MarkVII, etc.) were all sequential EFI, even on Speed Density cars, so they would not work here.

red rocket

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
carbed 5.0
Transmission
Manual
im in the process of doin it with a 89 2.9 liter, i also have a 92 ecm out of a bronco that im going to try as well, ill let everyone know if it works

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
That is true- speed density ECMs have the same pinout. Ford EEC-IV ECMs are tuned/ programmed to use a certain size injector- hence why it's always been said that swapping MAF sensors on a mass air car to compensate for injector sizes is actually "cheating" the computer. This is also the reason why you should use the V8 ECM over the 2.9L one.

And Teddy, you're right, Fox cars (T-bird, Mustang, Mark VII) all run sequential EFI and not batch or bank- fired EFI and cannot be wired this way.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I can't recommend this style of wiring, as I've not done it, but remember that the HO ECU's (Mustang/Cougar/TBird/MarkVII, etc.) were all sequential EFI, even on Speed Density cars, so they would not work here.
To make it a little clearer for everyone, the HO wiring harness can not be used for this swap, you must use the engine harness from trucks and vans, the non-HO motors/harnesses...
SVT

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To make it a little clearer for everyone, the HO wiring harness can not be used for this swap, you must use the engine harness from trucks and vans, the non-HO motors/harnesses...
SVT
To make it even clearer, you are not using the wiring from the 5.0 only the 2.9 harness with a few conector swaps and running the 5.0 computer from a non HO vehicle/

magnum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco2
Transmission
Automatic
does it matter how or which wire you add on to?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals