The Ranger Station Forums

The Ranger Station Forums (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php)
-   PreRunners (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Desert Racing - 2WD or 4WD? (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31729)

Jim Oaks 11-26-2008 11:48 PM

Desert Racing - 2WD or 4WD?

Here is a poll for those of you who follow desert racing;

What do you think is better to build, a 2WD (lighter) or 4WD (to help you get out of some of the nasty stuff)?

RebelAssaultTruk 11-26-2008 11:54 PM

2 wheel drive for sure...figure if your main rate of speed is fast enough to be competetive, and your terrain is what your perunner is set up for aka DESERT, you won't run into any place you wld need 4 wheel drive...to engage it you'd need to stop or slow down...in a race that's time determined. the extra weight wouldn't benefit either. that's why prerunners r 2 wheel drive right?

koda6966 11-26-2008 11:55 PM

Two wheel, it's classic, doesn't hit as hard off jumps, cheaper to fix and less things can go wrong. Basically everything you could get yourself into in the desert could be fixed with a good locker, extreme screw ups with a winch. What's the point of light-weight parts and fiberglass body panels if your just going to weigh it down with 4x4 anyway?

Honestly, I'd be the guy Rockin' it in the Subaru. To hell with all you ranger people! (Only kidding, I love my 2wd Ranger.)

BDAB 11-27-2008 12:10 AM

4wd for when you run off the course.

wahlstrom1 11-27-2008 12:13 AM

4wd....Need a way of getting traction. There's a reason Trophy trucks outrun everything else, you need to be able to put the power to the ground. Lightweight parts allow 4wd to be used without a real 'weight penalty' as compared to a stock 2wd.

-andrew

Mutant Pony 11-27-2008 12:19 AM

I voted 2wd. I've run both in the sand. When you are talking about racing, you are talking about speed. At speed 4wd doesn't help you. The lack of weight on the front end does. Weight doesn't help you in the sand. Lighter the better. Desert racing also means air, the less downward inertia, the easier it is on your body.
If you were talking about exploring untrailed desert, It would definatly be 4wd. Without question.

Wicked_Sludge 11-27-2008 02:15 AM

2wd.

lighter - lighter landings, doesnt sink as far into the sand, and higher power to weight ratio.

less parts to break.

less unsprung weight on the front axle means better soaking of bumps and jumps.

easier to get extremely long travel out of.

and 4wd is just not needed for high speed desert racing.

Anger 11-27-2008 04:44 AM

4wd for desert racing.

8594 11-27-2008 11:38 AM

2WD for all the reasons I can think of but I'll take 4WD so that I can get through the silt beds, or around all the stuck 2WD rigs.
Yes, I have run both.

grey ghost 11-27-2008 11:58 AM

i'd run 2wd. if you have the 4x4 then your going to go places that you might get stuck{ could be fun} but the 2wd makes you think quicker so you don't get stuck and have to use the shovel..