• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am in the process of tuning and cleaning up my 2.3 engine in my ’84 ranger. So far I have removed a bunch of emissions stuff on it, including the exhaust manifold. I purchased a ’96 ranger tubular style factory header/exhaust manifold that will be going in which is going to clean up that side of the engine. Now to the intake side - I am planning on taking the feedback carter carb off, along with all the vacuum and emissions stuff attached to it. I would like to upgrade to a carb that will give me better performance and reasonable economy. I plan on using this truck somewhat as an off-road toy. I have been doing lots of searching on the site, but to be honest I haven’t found all the answers to what I’m looking for. I would love to hear people’s opinions and suggestions on this topic. Has anyone looked into or ran one of these from Esslinger? Would it be street able, or just for racing? $190 isn’t too bad if it is a good improvement. That would be to run a Holley 350 correct?

http://www.esslingeracing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=E2724-5K&Category_Code=MAN

I’m new to 2.3’s, but been doing lots of research, and eager (and trying) to learn! Glad to see there is such a strong following and aftermarket for them. I love the “Frankensteining” that can be done, and definitely would rather go that route than brand new, unless the performance is worth it. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Also I will be posting some pictures up soon of my ranger, and some engine bay shots so I can figure out what the hell some of the stuff is, and if it is needed haha.

Thank you very much!
Drew

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy, and welcome to the forums...

I guess emissions are not a problem where you are...that makes it a bit easier to mod these engines, but not much gain in power other than a bit of weight loss...

The intake you linked to will work but I think it is designed specifically for a Holley 350...can't remember but that one has come up lately as an alternative that a couple of people want to try...if you notice there is no coolant flow opening for the intake...if your current setup has coolant flow apparently that can be by-passed...but haven't seen anyone use it on this forum yet...there are a few mustang forums that discuss it and someone posted a link a week or so ago...

The shorty header as you pointed out in the other thread doesn't have an O2 sensor and that is OK as long as you don't plan to go FI right away...and it can always be added later if needed...

I'd be interested in your setup an will watch as it develops...if there is anything I can add I'm usually around here looking at other setups and asking questions myself...

Enjoy and looking forward to pics...:icon_thumby:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the reply and welcome Mark!

Yeah, getting rid of all the emission stuff wasn’t so much because I thought I’d get more HP, but because one of the PO’s had capped off some of it, cut some of it, unhooked, and taped some more of it. I wanted to just clean it all up so it wasn’t so ugly under the hood, and as you said save some weight in the meantime. Haha.

I’m not sure on the Esslinger intake I linked, it was more of just me trying to get an idea of what sort of performance one may get out of it. I’d much rather go with something easier on the pocket, from the local scrap yard. I am definitely interested in what you did for your setup? You went with the pinto/mustang II intake and carb correct? What are the best years to get them off of? How do you like it? Was there much of a performance or economy increase? Any idea how those carbs work for off road use?

With the shorty header, I actually chose to go with the later model so it would have fewer bungs on it. I will probably end up deleting the EGR bung on mine, unless the carb I end up with has an EGR port, in which I may plumb it…

I will try to post some pictures up later tonight or tomorrow of my Ranger so everyone can say hello, and also so I can learn what the hell some of this shit is, and if it is necessary. :icon_confused:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, it was a Mustang II (1978) that I took my carb and intake from...not sure what years or if the Pinto used the same configuration because I haven't cross referenced it yet...but it was a big improvement over the stock intake and carb...performance wise it was about the same or maybe a bit better...fuel economy was questionable because the float was set too high and it would flood after long highway driving...it would actually die on me until I figured it out and corrected it...but since then it has been pretty good on gas...about 10 litres per 100 kilometers...or around 25 mpg...depending on how often I push it...which isn't too often...

The emission stuff on my 2.0 was terrible and probably suffered at the hands of a similar maniac...and I struggled with it for about two years before I found my current setup...big difference in both appearance and maintenance...

But it needs a bit of work and I've been considering upgrading it to a Holley 350...I'd use the same intake (Offenhauer or Offy type as it is refered to)...

I've recently added a block heater because I couldn't start it if the temps dropped below -10 *C but it still starts most times without a choke...the choke has never functioned and the harder I try to put one on the more it works without one...if that makes sense...

Over all I'd recommend this type of carb if you can find one...there are other options of course and this forum has been filled recently with many threads showing quite a variety...all good in their own respect...

As for off-road...I've driven my Ranger at some pretty weird angles without having stalling issues...but I don't do it often enough to say one way or the other...I did lower the float quite a bit to prevent slosh and flooding and to keep the needle functioning...with an electric pump it has been a blessing.

I've posted a few pics but there is another thread by a member showing the same carb...if I could find those pics I'd post them again for you...if needed...but the AARC manual has quite a bit on the Motorcraft 5200 (not sure if it's Holley version is the same)...

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A good intake to use and find at the yard is one off of a 88 or 89 ranger that had FI.You use the bottom of the intake and bolt on this adapter. http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/product/RWA1232A_ALUM/adaptor-efi-2bbl-1-Alum.html then you can run a 350 holley or even a 4 barrel
Besides the adapter plate, what modifications are needed to make them work? Just plug up the injector ports? Would it drive alright on the street or only at 3000 RPM – up?

For my Ranger, I’m looking for a combo that will be good (at least decent) driving to the trails; it’s not going to be a trailer rig.

The ballpark carb formula (@ maximum volumetric efficiency) is:
Max RPM / 3456 x displacement in ci = approx CFM

With 6000 max RPM, this is about 243 CFM for the 2.3 running 100% volumetric efficient.

I guess what I’m wondering, is a Holley 350 too much? I see lots of people run them, especially the mini stockers. It looks like Racer Walsh sells power valve restrictors, are these necessary? What else might be necessary to run one? Would you need to have a carb shop rework the fuel curve? They seem to be pretty expensive, and when considering all these things, seem like they may get up in price even more, or are they just awesome and that's not the case at all?

Are there any other known carb options that work on the FI lower intake manifold or only Holley 350 or bigger?

I was also reading about the OMC intake manifolds, seems lots of people have liked those. Is it the same story as far as carb size?

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Besides the adapter plate, what modifications are needed to make them work? Just plug up the injector ports? Would it drive alright on the street or only at 3000 RPM – up?

For my Ranger, I’m looking for a combo that will be good (at least decent) driving to the trails; it’s not going to be a trailer rig.

The ballpark carb formula (@ maximum volumetric efficiency) is:
Max RPM / 3456 x displacement in ci = approx CFM

With 6000 max RPM, this is about 243 CFM for the 2.3 running 100% volumetric efficient.

I guess what I’m wondering, is a Holley 350 too much? I see lots of people run them, especially the mini stockers. It looks like Racer Walsh sells power valve restrictors, are these necessary? What else might be necessary to run one? Would you need to have a carb shop rework the fuel curve? They seem to be pretty expensive, and when considering all these things, seem like they may get up in price even more, or are they just awesome and that's not the case at all?

Are there any other known carb options that work on the FI lower intake manifold or only Holley 350 or bigger?

I was also reading about the OMC intake manifolds, seems lots of people have liked those. Is it the same story as far as carb size?
I've always wondered about a S&S SUPER G I know they run them on 140" + big twin harley's just make an adapter for the upper FI intake for it and an adj reg.I was just a thinkn??? :icon_idea:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well...the thing is it's all about money...we can make a carbed 2.3 produce as much HP as we desire but...how much are we going to spend on it and for what application.

I had dreams of a more powerful 2.3 and started in that direction...rebuilt head with a mild racing cam...and the shop that built it did a decent job...it was more powerful and I was happy that I could run it up to 100 Km/h in 3rd gear and it still had pedal to spare...the down side was I was doing this with a wonky bottom end...so my next phase was to rebuild the bottom end...

Then things started to go south rapidly in my personal life and I had to abandon all that...but it's still in the back of my mind...and aside from the thousands I spent on that venture I'd be willing to invest a couple more and build a kickass carbed 2.3...

We all should know by now that the same money dumped into a turbo would satisfy our needs and then some...but for those of us who want to cling to the carbs we have to make those serious choices or be happy with what we have...

So...lol...having said that...the real question is how much can you/do you want to spend? And further to that would you be happy with a 2.3 that can put out maybe 200 HP...more? Less?

If you talk to a 2.3 performance builder (as I have) anything is possible...my nephew refered me to a guy who claims he can build a 700 HP 2.3 carbed motor...and he has proof of this...for just under $10 Gs...and the HP goes down considerably with the dollar amount...

I'd be quite happy to have about 140 HP...and that is very possible with about $3,000 investment...but I'm not in that position yet so I'm content to have my 110 or so that I have now...somewhat!

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
size

Some Samurai guys run a CV harley carb.

Bottom of the page - "It's Alive" setup
http://www.petroworks.com/drivetrain-carberators.php
I "THINK" the CV would be a little small if the the "G" is to big you could use an "E".The older "B" model is good but no accelerater pump in stock form there is the SUPER BOWL kit for this problem.There are all KINDS of performance mods and parts that can be done to these carbs,and a variety of jets available.There is even a 2 throat version. :icon_welder:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I "THINK" the CV would be a little small if the the "G" is to big you could use an "E".The older "B" model is good but no accelerater pump in stock form there is the SUPER BOWL kit for this problem.There are all KINDS of performance mods and parts that can be done to these carbs,and a variety of jets available.There is even a 2 throat version. :icon_welder:
Yeah I think you are probably right if you were to try and use one on a 2.3, but I was just pointing out that it's a somewhat common mod in the Samurai crowd.

I think right now I'm looking to go for the cheapest, "best bang for your buck". Maybe that will change if I come across a bunch of money in the future.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Yep!

Yeah I think you are probably right if you were to try and use one on a 2.3, but I was just pointing out that it's a somewhat common mod in the Samurai crowd.

I think right now I'm looking to go for the cheapest, "best bang for your buck". Maybe that will change if I come across a bunch of money in the future.
My mind was just wandern n got 2 thinkn bout the S&S's,Dell'Orto's,Mikuni's with a FI intake just about any Large motorcycle carb would work "ADJ REG" with the FI ports plugged or hell use them for NOS.:icon_welder:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My mind was just wandern n got 2 thinkn bout the S&S's,Dell'Orto's,Mikuni's with a FI intake just about any Large motorcycle carb would work "ADJ REG" with the FI ports plugged or hell use them for NOS.:icon_welder:
Haha yeah man. It'd be cool to do sidedrafts or something, my buddy is planning on doing that to his old corolla.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
another carb that some of the guys run with that intake is a motorcraft 350(343)cfm.cheap,plentiful and the jets from the Holley will work.You can get a smaller one than that,I think around a 280 something.same bolt pattern

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
pics

Haha yeah man. It'd be cool to do sidedrafts or something, my buddy is planning on doing that to his old corolla.
If he does POST some pic's!:icon_welder: O n 4 got about S.U's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals