• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

squeaking noise

Kirk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '02 Ranger with a V-6. About a week ago it started making a squeeling sound at idle and when driving, it sounds like a belt squeaking. I took it to the shop today and they found nothing. We changed the belt and tried a new alternator. No cure, still squeaks. They said it sounded internal (maybe a rocker) but I find that hard to believe. It runs smooth, no power loss. I swear it sounds like a belt or pulley, it's driving me crazy. They said to try some Lucas oil treatment and maybe that would help. So, belt - $49.99, stupid looks - STILL FREE!! Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks,

Last edited:

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's almost always the idler pulley, and to a lesser extent, the serpentine belt tensioner. The idler pulleys on 3.0s have a bad bearing design and go quite often.

Replace the idler pulley (cheap), but ALSO replace your tensioner. What happens is the idler pulley will start to move around due to the bad bearing and wear out the tensioner as it does this. Therefore, to really solve the issue, both need to be replaced. It isn't expensive and you can do it in your driveway.

dangeranger

Reaction score
have you checked your camshaft synchronizer???? they squeal when they are on the way out and it will sound internal, like its coming from behind the radio....

Kirk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
have you checked your camshaft synchronizer???? they squeal when they are on the way out and it will sound internal, like its coming from behind the radio....
Turns out it is the camshaft synchronizer. Pulled the belt off completely and it still squeeled so we knew it wasn't a pulley. I couldn't get a camshaft synchronizer today put pulled the cover off and shot some PB down in there and it took the squeel away. It'll come back as the lube dries up but at least it took it away until I can get the part.

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
wait....you took off the belt and started up the truck?? correct....if it ran thats wierd because my friends cadillac Northstar belt snapped and the motor died and would'nt start back up until we put a new belt on. maybe it was just a "caddy thing"

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
wait does the squeal sound like a bad wheel bearing, because if so then that might be my problem too, im hearing a constant squeal(like an electric wheelchair sound), and i replaced the wheel bearings today and im still hearing it, its not loud but its driving me crazy.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just follow the same steps Kirk took, if the noise is from from the back of the engine, the CPS is more than like the problem, especially if you have over 100K and it's never been replaced before. It's critical that this sensor does not completely fail.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals