• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pics of a 4 wheel steer streetable Ranger

redneckdanger

Dec 2008 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_welder:My pickup cab and frame are from an 87' model. I put a 90' 4.0L and wiring harness in the chassis. It is setting on full-size, high pinion, steerable Dana 44's with CTM joints and superior shafts. The axles have an ARB in the rear and a elec-junk in the front with 4.56 yukon gears. I built the steering cylinder and support for the rear steer custom for the application. The rear steer is powered by a electric over hydraulic power unit which is operated independent from the front, so when I drive it around town the rear is disabled. It is sitting on custom five link (four link with track bar) on both ends supported by 14.5" travel air bags that are controlled from inside of cab. The bag controls have a linking feature so when one tire gets pushed up, the air goes to the other bag and pushes that tire down. It is equipped with an engine driven compressor and warn winches front and rear (8000lb upright front, 9000lb rear). I built a dual t-case set up using the ranger t-case planetary for the first gear reduction and a NP205 for the transfer case. It's feet are 39.5 boggers on 14" wide inner and outter beadlock wheels that I built to keep beads on down to 1/2 lb of pressure for snow wheeling. The bed is setup with an in deck tool box on each side and a compartment that hides a 36" spare. It scored a 980 out of 1000 on a 30 degree ramp at a local four wheeler get together here in town, but it still drives on the streets fairly stable. The axles are set up with disc brakes front and rear and custom built high steer components. The front axle is using warn hubs while the rear is engaged full time with drive flanges. The whole dash and heater assembly is actually out of a 95' ranger using the 90' cluster. The floor board and deck of the flatbed are bedlined for easy cleaning (like that happens.) I replaced the 1/2" wheel studs for 9/16" long studs for a little more clamping force. It has a custom all aluminum radiator with electric fan and aluminum air box covering a K&N cone filter. The air system consists of a 15 gal tank mounted under the bed and air couplers on front and rear along with the compressor mentioned above. Dual optima batteries are under the bed also.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that is probably one of the sickess axles and flatbed ive seen very impressive

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I want to know how you get the rear ring and pinion to hold up to 39's.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual

redneckdanger

Dec 2008 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I upgraded to superior shafts and the CTM's. When I first got it together I had stock shafts and spicer joints and it was a matter of giving it some and I would be going into the rear end again. Since I put the shafts and joints in I haven't had a problem. Having decent flex helps keep even ground pressure and equal load on both shafts. The ring and pinion have given me no problems. They are both high pinions out of 78' F-150's. The rear is turning backwards from it's original rotation, but so did all of the 3/4 ton low pinion 44's back in the 70's and they never had a problem even with a big block sitting on top of them.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think that should be TOTM.

That truck is a beauty!

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
words can not express how cool and insane that truck is.

redneckdanger

Dec 2008 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much! I have alot of fun with it. I live in a toyota town here in Washington state. The big thing is snow wheeling here in Walla Walla. The toyota's do great in the snow for their lack of hp and weight. My buddy Gabe and I are the only two in town that have built small fords, so we catch alot of hell. He has a 90' bronco II with 44 front and nine inch in rear with 38.5 boggers on beadlocks. He does better in snow than I do because of weight issues. My truck is kind of a fat girl for snow, that's why I have the 39.5's. I built it for 38's, but I got a good deal on the boggers. The tire of choice is 38" 14.50" Gumbo's here. The one place where they do good is the snow.

240cubes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'00 '96 '89 '88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 5.7 2.9
Transmission
Manual

Ranger_Boi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do u have anymore pictures that are in the daylight? like of the whole thing on the ground :)

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Oh My God!!! That Is Incredible!! You Are The Man

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
didnt you submit your ranger in the tough truck challeng you rig looks familiar, but wow it looks sic man i like it

redneckdanger

Dec 2008 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I entered TTC a few years ago and got into the top 50 to be voted on, but didn't get in. Having dana 44's was the major downfall. I have plans for adapting outboard planetaries to the 44's someday for maybe entering TTC again. I have some other pics I will dig up and post later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals