• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

time for more flex .... hope u guys can help

spash94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well i got a 94 short bed that has a rought country kit in it now i changed out the plate style mount that hits the diff for a skyjacker mount now I'm looking to do extended radius arms and go with a different spring as the rc are verry stiff looking also to gain an inch or so

Do u guys like the duff ext radius arms ?
And would a skyjacker 6" soft ride spring site what I looking to do

The truck is locked frt and rear please let me know anything that will help me
Thanks matt

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The Duff Arms are awsome thru and thru. Very Good quality.

The skyjacker arms are not bad either but I prefer the Heim Joints used on the Duff Stuff.

spash94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so duff arms it is. I like the hyme joint idear now what would u recomend for a spring that will flex god and give me at least 5 inches of lift if not more

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I keep reading the jeep springs are a good buy for flex.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

spash94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
There is a set. Of duff progreassive springs on here for sale might grab them there 5.5 just looking for a lil imput

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I keep reading the jeep springs are a good buy for flex.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
The Jeep springs are crazy soft compared to "normal" TTB springs. I would go with a good progressive coil in fact I would spend the extra $100 and call deaver to have them build a custom set. Those typically run ~ $250 a set and are for sure worth it. At the end of the day however it is still a TTB and will never flex like a solid axle...

spash94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah not.looking to do a sas as I just got rid.of a long armed explore just looking to c what the ttb will do

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have the entire Duff Stage 3 under my truck and prior to OCtober 2011 I was running a SJ Class 2 6 inch under the same truck. On the road the Duff kit rides alot nicer then it did with the SJ. I do like the progressive rate springs with the Duff kit.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
:no2:

The TTB axle flexes plenty with the right springs on it. Unless you're building a ramp queen or a dedicated rock buggy, (IDGAF what anyone says) you don't need a solid axle.

If your "shortbed" is a regular cab, Skyjacker's 6" XJ coils (pt# JC-60F, IIRC) should work wonderful under that truck. I hope you have something planned out for your steering however, because those coils will NOT work well if the angles on your steering linkage are off...

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
:no2:

The TTB axle flexes plenty with the right springs on it. Unless you're building a ramp queen or a dedicated rock buggy, (IDGAF what anyone says) you don't need a solid axle.

If your "shortbed" is a regular cab, Skyjacker's 6" XJ coils (pt# JC-60F, IIRC) should work wonderful under that truck. I hope you have something planned out for your steering however, because those coils will NOT work well if the angles on your steering linkage are off...
You don't "need" a lifted truck. Solid axle's will outperform TTB's in a lot of offroad situations. That's all I was saying. You will never get even similar flex from a TTB that is just part of the independent suspension any "flex" typically gained is due to frame flex.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
The ttb setup is capable of some pretty amazing things. It beats the living snot out of sla setups day after day. If modified appropriately a ttb setup can roll with the big dogs.

The big problem with ttb is most people don't understand how it works and how to maximize its usefulness. Most of the time it's easier to sas than it is to work the bugs out of the factory ttb system.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The ttb setup is capable of some pretty amazing things. It beats the living snot out of sla setups day after day.
Very true if you factor in cost vs. durability (especially while building on OEM platforms), however with enough budget a SLA-IFS tends to have an advantage because of it's "cleaner" (as well as highly tunable) wheel travel characteristics (especially as speeds go higher).

You don't "need" a lifted truck. Solid axle's will outperform TTB's in a lot of offroad situations. That's all I was saying. You will never get even similar flex from a TTB that is just part of the independent suspension any "flex" typically gained is due to frame flex.
You're saying this is all due to frame flex?

Last edited:

spash94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Becides getting a 6 inch drop pitman ARM from sj is there anything else I need to know I was going to buy a brand new stock setup and run the drop pitman just so the steering was tight.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Very true if you factor in cost vs. durability (especially while building on OEM platforms), however with enough budget a SLA-IFS tends to have an advantage because of it's "cleaner" (as well as highly tunable) wheel travel characteristics (especially as speeds go higher).

You're saying this is all due to frame flex?
What flex am I looking at? Passenger side is dropping out with nothing under it drivers side is tucking with a rock. That's exactly how any ifs would respond to that situation. Just because it looks like a solid axle would doesn't make it flexing out. Don't get me wrong TTBs are great but its humanly impossible to flex one that's not how IFS works.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What flex am I looking at? Passenger side is dropping out with nothing under it drivers side is tucking with a rock. That's exactly how any ifs would respond to that situation. Just because it looks like a solid axle would doesn't make it flexing out. Don't get me wrong TTBs are great but its humanly impossible to flex one that's not how IFS works.
If you look, the rear drivers side tire is dropped out so that the entire suspension is articulated to its max, so I'm pretty sure a solid axle with the same springs/lift would have done more or less the same thing under those circumstances.
But I could be wrong...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals