• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DRL problems {daytime running lights -- Canadian]

Daleford

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I searched tech but didn't find anything. In Canada we have daytime running lights. On a customer's 99 Ranger the DRL stopped working. Can anyone direct me to the control module location or help withsome troubleshooting. Thanks in advance.

Daleford

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone ????
{BTW this truck is a 2000}

shane83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The DRL module is located on the front side of the rad support in front of the left wheel well

Daleford

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I thank you for that. Now, do you know where we can find a schematic that would allow us to test the wires comming in and out?

shane83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know where you would find one. Maybe try the local Ford dealer and see if they can help you.

bryan240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wiring schematics for the DRL is in the US factory manual. This is because DRL is an option on US Rangers (fleet vehicles). up until 2005, they were a module behind the bumper, left side. It had cooling fins on it. If I recall correctly, it contains a relay and resistor to reduce the voltage output. Pre-2005 vehicles have a jumper wire to short the connection and allow the lights to work without the module...that's what most people have...just a plug with a loop wire on it. Every Ranger since 1993 has been pre-wired for the DRL...if you take out that plug and put in a module, you have DRL.

The module is a single unit and replacing it solves most DRL problems unless you've got a wiring or connection issues somewhere down the line.

Post-2005, I believe it's controlled by hooking the truck up to a Ford computer and navigating through the lighting menu where you can turn it on or off. It's in there along with the seat belt chime disable and a bunch of other stuff. Requires a Ford computer, but it should be in there. I've never seen it, just heard that.

Last edited:

alain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the connection on the module. Mine had lots of corrosion and the 12+ terminal was all rusted... had to change the DRL module.

gover151

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, did you have any luck with this, my DRL have been coming on when the truck is not running and killing my batt. I think I located the module, little white box located immediatley in front of the drivers side wheel well, but its not accessable from the top and is pretty tight from the bottom, does this sound right.

Daleford

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Shane [above] had said it was in front of the rad support. I can't answer as to what was found because it was a neighbor"s truck and I don't think he checked it out yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals