• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project American Cruiser

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Of all of the places I've made build threads for this truck, I've completely forgotten to post it here. I acquired her back in June and have loved every minute with her. Though she may have to be sold because of unforeseen circumstances. More on that at the end.

- June -

She is a 1968 with a 302 and a three on the tree with an automatic overdrive unit (too cool). She runs like a scalded dog and sounds awesome with true dual glasspacks.

She came home the next day...

The engine does run, but the carb needs work and the fuel tank needs to be cleaned out. It's been sitting for a while so a basic tune-up will be needed (oil, plugs, hoses, ect.) and it will need some new brakes and tires. the seat has a chunk missing from it where the driver sits and the overall cleanliness of the interior is very poor. Oh, and there's wasps nests all around the sun visors. The linkage for the three speed on the column is all out of whack, and the horn needs to be investigated.

So I will just leave this right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNMhv_RbPo

All the crap in the video was cleaned out after a few more hours of elbow grease.

My dad had a 1965 F-100 back when I lived in Kansas, which is the main reason why I wanted an old Ford truck. For that reason I wanted a '65 above all else but after months (like 8+) of looking, nothing good came up. Leah showed up with everything I wanted from an old truck and the price was right so I settled for a '68. I'm not complaining, though. She is still pretty kick-ass.

My dad had the "what the frak is that" face when I brought it home, but I know he secretly loves it on the inside.

Bought a newer, bigger, and more powerful battery for DeLone, so I just gave the old one (that works perfectly fine) to Leah, so she has POWUH!!!

Oh, and I rebuilt the carb. Imma go get some gas and see if she'll run without me having to pour gas in the carb.

Success. I am pleased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JposS30sW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pSx8gzF-tE

Something's missing here...

- July -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryyk8fU208s

Ever since then I've been doing small things here and there that weren't really noteworthy.

- September -

A bittersweet discovery on the F-100.

Just a quick WIndsor history lesson. The Windsor line of Ford V8's were made to have a compact, light V8. The most popular V8's were the 289, the 302, and the 351. The 289 and 302 shared the same block. The 351 was very similar, but had a 1.3" taller deck, noticed by the amount of space between the water inlet and the deck. The 351 also used more webbing and was a considerably stronger block.

Well back on Monday I was under the hood of Leah when I saw something different. I raced to the 302 in the garage to confirm what I saw.

Yep, Leah doesn't have the 302 that I was told it had, she has a 351. I had a gut feeling that it didn't sound like a early 302 (they have different firing orders). Bitter because of my love for the 302, and because I have a garage full of spare damn parts. Sweet because there's no replacement for displacement.

Saddest part... Leah will probably be quicker than DeLone.

And here's why I'm boned:

Everything just came to a screeching halt. The engine just blew on my mom's Mazda because they never care to check the damn dipstick between oil changes. And since I just happened to be driving it, I'll have to pay part of it.

I'm pissed, and this puts the project truck in jeopardy. I'm praying that there'll be a way to cover the cost of all of this and keep the truck. PRAYING.

Last edited:

jhammel85

That's a nice project. That's a shame about the Mazda and that's pretty unfair to hold you accountable for the blown motor.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know. They're making me pay mostly because I took it out without them knowing.

Hopefully I can score a used engine.

jhammel85

Check car-part.com

It's an online junkyard data base....It's easier than calling all of those junkyards around you.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
They're going to get a freshly-rebuilt engine that only had 39k miles on it. Installed with labor, taxes, parts and all that crap it's going to be roughly $4400.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As if I needed another problem.

Leah has an extremely bad case of cancer on the driver's side floor pan. I thought that it was just the driver's side cab mount, but I was under her a little bit more today while I was working on the brakes. Yet again a problem that I really don't have the resources to fix.

Oh and I hate drum brakes so much if isn't even funny.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My parents and I worked out a deal that works out great for me, so I get to keep Leah in all her rusty glory!!!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Drum brakes... whudda bitch. All I have to say.

Now to do another three.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and I hate drum brakes so much if isn't even funny.
I would concur. The nice thing is that the I beams from a 73 with discs will bolt right in without any modification.

Gotta love Ford.

I did this on my 72 F100. Best upgrade I did.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals