• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

timing adjust

hartwrenches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there a way to advance the spark timing on a 94 2.3 with DIS, I understand you can advance the cam but that doesn't really change the ignition timing at least not on mine, only has crank sensor

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
as far as i know you can only do it with a chip.

why do you want to advance the timing anyway?

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You have a cam sensor too.

No adjustments for the end user though. Its all computer controlled.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A chip, tuner, or physically move your crank sensor. Your 94 shouldn't have a cam sensor, so you could slot the holes on the crank position sensor to adjust your timing. I have never tried it, but it should work even though it is somewhat a shot in the dark as far as how much you should move it. Another possibility would be an offset crank pulley key.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The link didn't work for me. I think the 94's in California had them but most don't. I know for a fact that my 94 doesn't. Starting in 95 they all had cam position sensors.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
The cam sensor is the key. While it is possible to alter the base timing by mechanically altering the location of the cam in relation to the crank, the computer will try to compensate, especially with a cam sensor. For those who say it isn't possible, I can attest that it is, at least on those without a cam sensor (92 for example). I don't recommend it since the engine will either ping or knock depending on whether you advance or retart the timing, but sometimes advancing the timing will boost MPGs (very marginally). Do so at your own risk though.

hartwrenches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck has 250000 plus miles on it and the engine is getting a little tired, on my older rangers I would just bump the timing a little and regain some power and fuel economy, just want to go 2 degrees or so with this one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals