• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 2.3l heater problems

newb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, i cant get any heat in my truck, both hoses going into the heater core are getting hot, has plenty of coolant, and all i get is cold air. I haven't flushed the heater core cuz both hoses get hot, I have no clue what to do now, anyone get an idea?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, i cant get any heat in my truck, both hoses going into the heater core are getting hot, has plenty of coolant, and all i get is cold air. I haven't flushed the heater core cuz both hoses get hot, I have no clue what to do now, anyone get an idea?
I dont know a lot about this part of the heating sytsem but it sound like it could be te blend door or maybe the controls. I think they work on vacuum. it sound like your t-stat and heater core , and heater control valve are fine. does the air come out of just the defrost or all of the positions? here is a site that has a way of fixing the blend door if that is your issue http://www.heatertreater.net/Ford Ranger 93-08.htm

newb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just replaced the t-stat and the temp control panel inside the truck, an all i can get in any position is the defrost. whats the best way to tell if its my heater core?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you have the issue before changing the temp conytollor. It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. The default position for the Heater is Defrost.ie. If youhave no vacuum it goes to defrost

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
do you have anyother vavuum related issues with your truck....

see if you can get "Big Jim M" o help you. he has helped other members with the same issue you are having

newb23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im thinkin i do, thanks for the help

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
If I'm following these threads correctly, the 97 model is famous for destroying the blend door actuator on the electronic models. If you have a factory non-a/c model, I've heard that they are cable-driven and aren't as prone to this particular problem. I believe there are pages on the Tech section that explain how to check and repair this problem if the door is to blame.
Otherwise, to check the heater core itself, simplest test is to check the tubes coming out of the firewall, if you haven't done so already. If both sides are roughly the same temperature (very warm to hot), your heater core is probably ok. As for your vent position selector, definitely check vacuum. The door is controlled by vacuum on all models as far as I'm aware. There should be a line set (vacuum hoses) attached to the back of the HVAC control head that you replaced. Check there to see if you have vacuum present. If not, check at the firewall. Might need a diagram from a service book or the VECI label under the hood to find out exactly which hose is which.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
i just replaced the t-stat and the temp control panel inside the truck, an all i can get in any position is the defrost. whats the best way to tell if its my heater core?
If the heater hoses both get hot where they go in to and leave the heater core, then your heater core is likely good.

If the air only comes out on defrost regardless of selector position, it's likely a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hose under the hood to see if it's disconnected, leaking, or rubbed through. It's a small hose on the passenger side of the truck coming from the cab near the blower box. Also check for vacuum farther down the source if you have no vacuum on that line.

And v8318cid, my '97 factory non air truck was cable driven, so you have heard correctly.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Most definitely. You DO either have a vacuum leak or more likely a door/actuator problem.

Just the simple fact that it only operates the defrost supports this.

The simple should be checked first like stated previously. Check the main feed vacuum line to the dash. After that it's a tracing game, and checking for broken doors, rods, or failed vacuum actuators.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals