The Ranger Station Forums

The Ranger Station Forums (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Headliner Replacement (http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110667)

RangerBoy94 06-19-2011 01:43 AM

Headliner Replacement

Well Since my engine swap is almost done I need a new project.:icon_twisted:Has anyone done this before. My headliner is all torn up and needs to be replaced. I want to do a custom job with camo fabric. Do I need to just glue over the old headliner or tear the foam and everything off then glue it on. What kinda glue should I use and what type of fabric?:dunno::icon_confused:

Grey_04 06-19-2011 04:07 AM

i just went to wally world and got a can of 3m spray adhesive and then stopped by Joanne fabrics. started by removing the visors grab handles and dome light. then removed the trim piece in the drivers side pulling the headliner out of the truck. then spread the fabric out dry, fold in half spray right on the existing material and the new fabric.. wait a few seconds then work slowly spreading the fabric over....repeated for the other half.. grand total of about $15.00 i did mine in mossy oak..

i have a couple of small wrinkles in mine but oh well it's a work/fire response truck not a show piece..here's a pic of how mine turned out.:icon_welder:
i seen yours is torn up I'd suggest cleaning off any loose stuff or getting a different headliner board first..

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...2004/005-1.jpg

GTxone 06-19-2011 08:16 AM

cool nice job

fyre82 06-19-2011 12:58 PM

Nice camo, but pink dice?? :D

Sorry, had to . . .

:beer:

HRTKD 06-19-2011 01:19 PM

I did my headliner last year. It was drooping badly. This was a lot of work as there are no replacement backing boards available for my model/year. If you can find a replacement board I highly recommend doing that as the work to remove the old fabric and fix any issues with the board are time consuming. (My backing board is fiberglass and a royal pain in the butt)

I bought replacement material and adhesive from StockInteriors.com. The color match was very, very close. But since you're looking for camo the color match doesn't matter. I didn't see a camo color on their site but they do have backer boards. I bought 2 yards, 54" wide.

I think the 3M spray adhesive will work. The can of adhesive I got from Stock Interiors wasn't quite enough so I used some 3M spray I had laying around. I was perhaps a bit liberal in my application of the adhesive. Do look at their install instructions. I also found a video that showed how to do it and that was very helpful. Consider adding some sound insulation to the roof while you're at it.

noahkenny 06-19-2011 01:59 PM

They guys have you pointed in the right direction. The advise I will give you is use quality spray adhesive. I do like the 3m and there are different brands you can use but no cheap stuff. Its best to ask upholstry guys on what they use. I have my headliner out right now in need of redoing it. Just havent got around to it. If the backing foam is loose then take a soft to meduim brush like a car washing brush and brush off the loose foam. Use plenty of adhesive just not so much that it soaks through your material. And take your time, its best to let the adhesive to tack up before applying your material. I do like the camo...nice...

Grey_04 06-19-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyre82 (Post 1051450)
Nice camo, but pink dice?? :D

Sorry, had to . . .
:beer:

i posted this pic before.. for those that don't remember, my grandfather used to drive a '71 brockway hauling coal. he used to have a pair hanging in his truck just like that when i rode in the truck with him as a kid. since he was more of a father figure to me than a grandfather i have had a set of dice in my trucks as a reminder and memorial thing to the greatest influence in my life.........silly i know but since his passing in '86 i've been really lost without my pap.:sad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahkenny (Post 1051491)
They guys have you pointed in the right direction. The advise I will give you is use quality spray adhesive. I do like the 3m and there are different brands you can use but no cheap stuff. Its best to ask upholstry guys on what they use. I have my headliner out right now in need of redoing it. Just havent got around to it. If the backing foam is loose then take a soft to meduim brush like a car washing brush and brush off the loose foam. Use plenty of adhesive just not so much that it soaks through your material. And take your time, its best to let the adhesive to tack up before applying your material. I do like the camo...nice...

I've found using a wire brush with light pressure works great,,, that was my 4th headliner I've done..:icon_thumby: