• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In need of tire advice.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and built like a tank
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, looking for some advice on tires.
OK background details.

Truck is a 2004 Ford Ranger regular cab, 7 ft bed xlt . 2wd 8.8 rear end 3.73's I think, whatever stock is. automatic with overdrive. there was also a class three tow package listed on the build sheet(not sure what this includes). Stock tires are 225 70/15 on stock ford 15" inch rims.

I recently moved from Ill to WI for work. Well one big difference about WI ***** SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!. so I'm looking at putting some meatery tires on my truck, cause even with five 70 pound sand bags mounted over the axle so they cant move, I still can barely move and turning well sucks. Someone recommended bf Goodrich all terrains to me, as this truck is my daily driver and sees mixed highway/road and some mild trails for when I go out hunting. however they don't make the bf's in my stock size. i don't mind going bigger, however the reason I originally bought a Ranger and one in two wheel drive was for the handling gas mileage, and well the fact that it rips my friends little celcia to shreds.

so what do you recommend as far as going bigger and staying with the stock rims gears etc.. no rubbing and NO LIFT , like I said an inch higher or so would be nice but I don't 44 inch swampers or anything like that, and I really don't want to affect the drive-ability gas mileage or handling. just a bit more ruggedness, and the ability to get to work.There is a k&n cold air intake but that doesn't matter really.And not loosing the handling acceleration and all around "sportiness of the 2wd as that's why i got it in the first place.I don't mind if the speedos of one or two just nothing major.

I did see that there were general tire grabber at2 in my stock size as well as I hair bit bigger, would this be better?

I'm kind new to trucks, previously had two grand ams.Also I can't type and spell i'm well aware of that.

Thanks for all the advice and awesome forum.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
since your 2 wheel drive, may i suggest finding another set of rims and just getting a set of winter treads an switching in the fall.. (that's if you have a place to store them all summer) you can find decent deals on craigs list if you look and have the time..

FFparker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunately I live in a studio apartment with no garage so no go on a second set of rims.

I was thinking maybe 225/75R15, according to the speedo calculator on this site it would only throw me off by about 1 mph, which is hard to judge anyways.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bfg a/t's suck in snow. My advice, trade in your truck for a 4wd.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
again thank you for the advice but not possible, I owe money on it and frankly I love my truck I just want to actually be able to get to work.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
would 225/75R15 rub there 28.28 diameter according to the calculator

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
also I don't want the maintenance cost of a second axle u joints drive shaft etc..

mawz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Snow tires and a cheap storage locker rental, or check with your local tire shops, some will likely offer summer storage for snow tires for a fee which will usually include mounting them in the fall and unmounting in the spring (I know that's often offered up in Northern Ontario where I used to live for people without storage for a spare set of wheels/tires)

You've got a 2WD truck in snow country, don't waste your time with A/T's in the winter and do it right.

FFparker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 31s and My speedo is like 2 or 3 off of the real speed. Go with a 30 or 31 inch tire. If you don't like the BFGs maybe try goodyear duratracs

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I should mention I do want the all terrains for when I go hunting , it's not muddy or steep on the trials buts plenty rocky and my little walmart brand specials(dealer put them on there) just don't like it, and I go out there about every other week.The storage locker seems like a good idea but I have no way to change them out. i have the tools but not the space and or time, so I just kinda looking for something all year, that's why I'm leaning more toward the general tire grabber. as the seem better all year and with 225/75R15 it's just a touch bigger. i more concerned with rubbing and gear changes and such with these. as again no time and space. yes all my coworkers have second sets of tires for their cars. but being fresh outta college kinda sucks, for pretty much everything.

But once again thank you for your advice, this won't be for a while now as it's almost spring and my wlamarts have some life left in them. I'm just trying to research and get all options on the table before doing something.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in it pretty much 24/7 on call, my boss expects me to come in at 1 am if a sever messes up.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hell if it works up in tronto it would probably work here.

2K4ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so in your opinion is it truly better just to get the extra set as I'm getting married soon and a garage might be in the future, although I'd probably buy some nice ones for the summer and keep my stock ones for winter since their flaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals