• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ford Ranger Hard Shifting Transmission

Stormridr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I just a 1997 Ford Ranger Reg Cab XLT 4x4 w/ Automatic Overdrive transmission (not sure of the numbers.) It has the 4.0L V6, w/ the OD button on the shifter and push button (actually twist) 4x4. It has few hard shifts. It shifts hard start off from a start, and also from first to second. It shifts fine from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. It also has a hard shift from 4th to 5th intermittantly. It also seems to have a hard shift about a second or two after I stop at a stop sign/signal. It has been sitting for approximately 6 months. It was started once a week, but not driven. I am thinking that it may be a sticking valve or something. I wanted to know if anyone agrees and if draining the fluid (knowing it all won't get drained) and changing the filter will solve the problem. Also, I checked the fluid yesterday and it looks like it may be overfilled. Just wondering if either of these could cause the problem. I would appreciate any solutions.

Thanks

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Being that the truck is a 97 , I believe that it has the 5R55E automatic.

The first thing i would check is the overdrive servo piston , as this is the easiest to start with , on the outside of the transmission , no pan removal involved.

Now , you may ask 'Why the Overdrive servo , the problem is from 1st to 2nd , and 4th to 5th ?' well that is because there are only 3 forward speeds in a transmission , now , that may not sound right but let me explain.

Your transmission is a C3/A4Ld/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E , they are all the same , the difference lies in the 'gears' , they all have 2 planetaries , and 2 sun gears , and 3 clutch packs , where the differences lie is the Overdrive. In the C3 , there is no overdrive , the A4LD got an additional band stuffed into a C3 case to make it electronic overdrive , and the 4R and 5R transmissions are just full electronic.

Now on to the point , a 5R55E transmission has the following 'shift pattern' , 1-OD1-2-3-OD3 (OD=Overdrive) , this is how they achieve the feel of 5 speeds , so if you are experiencing hard shift from 1-2 and 4-5 , i would start with the overdrive servo piston.

The piston is located on the driverside of the transmission , there are 2 large round button like pieces , the forward one is your overdrive servo piston , it applies the overdrive band to give you the feeling of 1-2 and 4-5.

To remove the piston , tap it lightly with a rubber mallet to break it free , once you have it broken free , push in on it slightly (works easier with 2 people ) there is a snapring near the outer edge , remove it , the release the pressure off the piston.

When you remove the piston there should also be a spring in there , the thing you want to check is the rubber lip seal , if should me pliable , if it is hard to the touch , replace ( my cost was $9 at the local dealership) then drive it , you may loose some fluid in the process.

If this does not solve the problem , i suggest taking it to a tranny shop just for diagnosis

sorry for my long speil , i get carried away when it comes to transmissions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals