• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bought A New Truck

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Last night I purchased an '88 ranger xlt ext cab. 2.9L has no signs of cracked heads (pressure tested the cooling system, pulled the plugs and they looked okay, no sign of water in the oil or vise versa and no smoke from the exhaust) 5 speed trans 3.73 gears with limited slip in the rear, manual tcase and hubs, power windows and locks, ice cold a/c, and best of all...FACTORY DUAL GAS TANKS! :D

The trucks gonna need a clutch, slave cylinder, and an electric fan but besides that it runs like a top, paid 800 bucks for her. Just thought id share my excitement with the community :D

Bye Bye little 85 Bronco II 2.8, you'll be missed :(

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet! :) Time to put a V8 in the BII.... :D

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Last night I purchased an '88 ranger xlt ext cab. 2.9L has no signs of cracked heads (pressure tested the cooling system, pulled the plugs and they looked okay, no sign of water in the oil or vise versa and no smoke from the exhaust) 5 speed trans 3.73 gears with limited slip in the rear, manual tcase and hubs, power windows and locks, ice cold a/c, and best of all...FACTORY DUAL GAS TANKS! :D

The trucks gonna need a clutch, slave cylinder, and an electric fan but besides that it runs like a top, paid 800 bucks for her. Just thought id share my excitement with the community :D

Bye Bye little 85 Bronco II 2.8, you'll be missed :(

No photos...did not happen. lol My brother-in-law has a 4 cyl Honda that nothing you have can touch it. It does over 160mph...I think you need to change your handle ther, Bro before my brother-in-law sees it!!!! lol

POST THOSE PHOTOS!!!!!

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
:worthless:

Congrats on the buy, Please post pics!

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I will be more then happy to post pictures when I get home from work this afternoon. The interior is really clean, I am still a little worried about the heads being cracked and not showing signs (or cracking in the future) but quite frankly I love the 2.9 its a torquey little bastard. After I do the clutch and the slave im going to do all new cooling system hoses new thermostat,electric fan, rad cap and coolant to ease my worries. Then ill do plugs cap rotor and wires. Then a 3 inch body lift, buying my buddies 33s, and finding some mud!!:yahoo:

Straycat. I have a 1997 neon sedan with a 2.4 turbo swap, on www.agpturbo.com's 50 trim kit. Im sure id be able to roll with the civic :D

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am still a little worried about the heads being cracked and not showing signs (or cracking in the future) but quite frankly I love the 2.9 its a torquey little bastard.:D
To be honest, I kind of felt that same way because of all the nightmare stories. The very first road trip I took mine on, I way-way overheated it because of sticking calipers, a 105 degree day and a plugged up radiator. I was in full cringe mode. Got all that fixed and it runs super cool now and I haven't given it another thought after 2 years of dd'ing it. I say, don't worry about it, run it till it blows, then put a 4.0 in.

HDCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8ltr bored .030 over
Transmission
Manual
No photos...did not happen. lol My brother-in-law has a 4 cyl Honda that nothing you have can touch it. It does over 160mph...I think you need to change your handle ther, Bro before my brother-in-law sees it!!!! lol

POST THOSE PHOTOS!!!!!
awe the days of rice burners wanting to race me in my old 2001 Ranger Edge i had. i would always accept with the condition i get to choose the location of race; funny thing was they would always back out. something to do with they thought i was loco choosing one of my fav offroad areas.:icon_rofl::icon_hornsup:

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Even more good news, my buddy has a 90 ranger with a 2.3 on 8 inches of lift and 35x15x15 swampers (its got an 8.8 rear with 5.13s in it lol) but for some reason he has 2 brand new clutches laying around. I cross referenced the part numbers and the 2.3 and 2.9 clutches are identical, same 8 7/8" diameter and all. So he's giving me a clutch for free I just have to go buy a slave cylinder after work so ill hit the auto parts store on the way home and then post some pictures for you guys! New clutch is going in on Sunday!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
awe the days of rice burners wanting to race me in my old 2001 Ranger Edge i had. i would always accept with the condition i get to choose the location of race; funny thing was they would always back out. something to do with they thought i was loco choosing one of my fav offroad areas.:icon_rofl::icon_hornsup:
Haaaaaaa!!! Good one...unless you got picked on by me and my old 86 1.8 L Turbo Subaru Brat!!! That thing really honked and hooked up off road!!! But even with running 31's on it I still did not have the great ground clearance of a nice lifted truck. I did surprise a lot of trucks with it though!!! lol

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Do your regular maintenance & enjoy the ride....don't sweat the details...

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Pictures as promised...

Last edited:

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
What state are you in, Honda eater? If you are quick and close, I have a truck I am trying to get rid of before it goes to the scrap yard. It would mean some good clean sheetmetal for you. Just a thought

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic

POST THOSE PHOTOS!!!!!
Bring your Honda on. I love the new 250 shot I just put on the 5.0 GT. Works like a charm.

This is essentially what we put on.

Attachments

Last edited:

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Im in New Jersey, thanks for the offer rangerluver but louisiana just a little too far haha

rangerluver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 (412 hp)
Transmission
Automatic
Oh well, wish it worked out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals