• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Mazda B4000 electrical problem

AzRockRunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 Mazda B4000 ext cab 2x4 and it runs fine but is killing the battery. I drove it to checker, they tested it and the alt failed. So I removed the alt, took it in and tested it out of the truck and it passed with flying colors. So I put it back on the truck, jusp started the truck and the new battery is down to 10.5 volts even while running. I tested the output wire on the back of the alt and it is not puting out ANYTHING!!!!!

So, my question is where do I look now. Alt tests good on bench but will not charge the system in the truck. Do I have a bad PCM? is there a sensor somewhere? What am I missing

Thanks in advance

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 Mazda B4000 ext cab 2x4 and it runs fine but is killing the battery. I drove it to checker, they tested it and the alt failed. So I removed the alt, took it in and tested it out of the truck and it passed with flying colors. So I put it back on the truck, jusp started the truck and the new battery is down to 10.5 volts even while running. I tested the output wire on the back of the alt and it is not puting out ANYTHING!!!!!

So, my question is where do I look now. Alt tests good on bench but will not charge the system in the truck. Do I have a bad PCM? is there a sensor somewhere? What am I missing

Thanks in advance
voltage regulator?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I can't find the diagram but, the alternator is internally regulated and I believe it uses one of the small wires that connect to it as the reference voltage for the regulater. that being the case you should have 12v (or close to battery voltage) on one of the small wires when the ignition is in the run jposition.

svtdawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What great timing for this post. I got on here looking for a similiar problem I'm having with my 95 ranger and here it is! Maybe we can work together on this. Here is what happened to me couple weeks ago. Battery was getting weak...then truck wouldn't start. Got a new battery and the truck ran great...until it died on me, while I was driving! OK, so alternator right? Well, I didn't do any analysis the first time and just threw money away for a new battery that I didn't really need so I figure I better start. Pulled the alternator and had it tested at a good local shop, not a chain autoparts store! Guy rebuilds alternators for big rigs and everythings else. Said it was perfect. Puttin out right amount of voltage and amps with and without a load.

Sounds like your problem too, right? If you got your alternator checked out then it's not the voltage reg.

Here is what I'm trying next. Put alt back on and trace wires from alt to motor. It's the only thing in the equation that makes sense to me. If the alternator is good and the battery isn't getting charged then I'm thinking wiring or whatever is between.

Anyone out there with any help?

There is a 3 wire pigtail, small grey wire and the bolt-on fat red positive wire on back of the alt. I'm suspecting the 3 wire pigtail right now. Those tend to go bad on Fords from my experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals