• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Melling M-328 Oil Pump

lwr_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
For those who are expiriencing the dreaded lifter tick and low oil pressure problem with your 2.9, buy and install the new high volume pump from Melling. Most parts houses do not know what you are talking about, but convince them that the part does exist and that the part number is M-328. It will cure your ills!!!!!!!

My pressure had been droping down to 5psi at idle after thermal breakdown. And at cold start up was getting the lifter tick until lifters pumped up after a few minutes. Now pressure is steady at 15-20 psi at idle and over 50psi at 25K rpm. Cold start lifter tick is GONE!!!

No need to take out the distributor as the book calls for. Take off the dist. cap and the knock out plate on the firewall just above the dist. Disconnect the motor mounts and jack up the motor (be safe and use block and stands). Drop the pan and slide to the side. There will be just enough room to remove old pump and install new one. It is tight, but with patience you will get er done.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was the fix for the subarus that I used to drive.My 4.0 has a nice tick too but my oil pressure is still pretty high.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
does it fit the 4.0

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I was reading the other day that having a HV pump that you need a higher capacity oil pan because it pull more oil than the pans holds

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the return journals are clean, meaning your engine isn't a sludge monster, you don't need a larger pan.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does it fit the 4.0
Melling has a HVOP for the 4.0.. I put one in mine a few months ago. The part number is the same for the 2.9 M328. I got mine on ebay really cheap compared to the parts stores... It is true no one knows what they are yet..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals