• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've reached the point where I'd better start documenting building that 1990 Bronco II thats been my lawn ornament for a few months.

This thing has been built by Craigslist, btw. Yesterday I scored a '96 Exploder with 201,000 km on it for $500. Its triple green in ugly but runs well so the 4.0 will replace my current 2.9. The BII was a $500 bill come to think of it. Add that to some other collected parts and now: Its on. ;)

Pause while figure out how to load pix (they'll still suck though). :icon_confused:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
What I'm starting with: $500 worth of happy.

The dent that that came with it....

The "organ donor":

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Lets not forget the lovely red 'whorehouse' interior in this thing. :annoyed:

Too bad the Exploder has an even more attractive green interior. :bawling: I would like to swap the dash though...

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The plan for now is to swap as much of the Explorer guts as possible into the Bronco. Not just the 4.0 but the 4R55E trans, computer, steering column (mines busted) and maybe the dash too. I'll change the seats, console and maybe the rear springs (though, I found a lift on Craigslist too!)
I'm fortunate that my B II was built with the Dana 35 so no worries about swapping the front axle, just as well as the '96 doesn't have one. lol
I have an 8.8 from a '95 Exploder with the perches and shock mounts already modified. In the long run, I'd like to change the truck to a 5 on 5 1/2 pattern. Pretty sure it can be done.

The Exploder has "Control Trac" whatever that is. The Bronco has an electric shift T-case and I've picked up a manual shift T-case that might be missing some shifter parts. Not sure which to use yet. The Control Trac T-case might go in there by default because its hooked to the 4R55E trans. If its too strange I'll swap it out though.

Its a long weekend. Time to turn wrenches. :yahoo:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Just for the record, I don't work for Craigslist. LMAO.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up the '96 Exploder tonight. Tranny is acting up, seems to go into neutral while upshifting. RPM's spike about a 1000 up, depending how hard I'm on it. Does anybody know what this problem is?

Thanks in advance. :)

Edit: Doing a little research on TRS and it kind of sounds like the infamous 'leaking valve body gasket' in the 4R55E. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but not something I can't do.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I can't say I'm proud of my progress. I keep getting sidetracked and when I do find time to work on it I find my tool collection lacking things like metric sockets, wrenches and I don't have any Torx at all for the driveshafts.
I'll hit the local Cambodian Tire tomorrow for a few tools. :dunno:

The Exploder engine compartment is very different from the Bronco II. But I like what I see in there. The rad is huge compared to the one in the B-II, I hope its the one to use. lol
I've also decided not to try to put the whole Exploder wiring harness and dash in this thing. I want it as simple as possible so I'll hit the JY for a '90 - '92 4.0 Ranger or '91 - 94 Exploder engine compartment wiring harness. Hopefully the '96 computer will work with that harness. I think it will since a few guys have that harness on 4.0 SOHC swaps. :icon_thumby:

Steiger Man

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Keep it up...post more progress pics.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
subscribed...

i see you love that red interior as much as i do... lol

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
subscribed...

i see you love that red interior as much as i do... lol
I feel your pain.

Too bad for me the parts Exploder has the equally hideous green interior. :annoyed: Terrible match for a red & silver truck.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Finally a little progress, got around 5 hours into it today. I'm not entirely sure what to pull and not to pull out of here so I'm being a bit conservative. Also unplugging everything - haven't cut one wire yet so it looks like a rats nest in there. I know this isn't plug-n-play but I'm trying to keep the splicing to a minimum.
Before (from yesterday):

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
And tonight:

:icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Couple more:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Its funny how after you get that much clutter off the engine it suddenly looks not much bigger than a Briggs & Stratton. :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals