• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adjust/repair instrument cluster gear indicator (auto trans)

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Original Poster: Slim

Difficulty: 4 out of 10 (but this really depends on your idea of “difficult”)

Time to install: 15 minutes – 1 hour

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: This article is intended to educate you on how to diagnose, adjust and/or repair a malfunctioning gear indicator in the instrument cluster of you automatic transmission-equipped Ranger.

Tools Needed:
- various small sockets
- nut driver and/or ratchets for above sockets
- utility cutters (for zip ties, if used)

Parts Needed:
- maybe zip ties

Steps:

The first step is to figure out what is wrong. If your indicator is not moving at all when you move the gear shifter then there is a problem with the cable. If the indicator moves, but is in the wrong position then the cable is either out of adjustment or somehow broken. In either case you will need to remove the panels under the steering column to access the area where you need to work on the unit.

1. Remove the 4 bolts along the bottom side of the panel under the steering column. Two are easily visible, but the other two are hidden under the hood release latch.

2. Remove the 5 bolts holding the steel plate in place.

3. Locate the cable for the indicator (thin black housing in pic) and follow it through the adjuster and finally to the inner cable.

4. Check the inner cable to make sure it’s properly secured.

5. If it is properly secured, then check the holder for the adjuster. (mine was broken, as you can see in the second pic) If your’s isn’t broken then simply adjust the cable tension until the indicator reads the proper gear.

6. If the adjuster is broken the same way mine was you can use the following steps to fix it. Since the adjuster won’t keep the cable tension properly you need to fix this, which is incredibly simple (remember the zip tie fix for the throttle cable? ;) ) …..

7. Get several zip ties. The amount you will need depends on how wide they are and how much of a “gap” you need to “shrink”. Simply wrap the zip ties around the adjuster barrel (the black plastic part) to achieve the proper reading on the indicator. Be sure to trim the excess tie so it doesn’t get caught between anything and you’re done.

Now instead of Park looking like this …..

….. it should look like this …..

While you’re under there take a moment to inspect the throttle cable and see if it needs to be modded.

8. Put the panels back in place and you’re done.

:icon_thumby: :icon_cheers: :headbang:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
great writeup! LOL, my 99 has been like that ever since i got the truck! i should actually fix it! now i know how! not that i ever really tried to... :icon_rofl::icon_thumby:

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just had this problem and it was the white plastic holder broken.

No adjustment was possible so I used the zip tie method.

I also ordered the part from O'Riellys to replace the broken one.

Part number is Dorman # 83244, it is a special order part for $13 from the warehouse.

Zip ties work ok but I will have it ready to replace whenever I go back in there.

Ray

emaychbe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a how-to for this issue, but after the little loop in the end of the cable has broken?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the cable is broken you need a new PRNDL thing.

emaychbe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
damn.. not possible to crimp another loop onto the existing one?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals