• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ally1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
would you stay with the 2.8 engine. My BII will be used to basically take me to my hunting property and maybe a little mud might be in the picture. I've read a lot of posts the V8 sounds cool but I'm not sure I really need all that. Going to put in 4" suspension lift and I have read its best to raise the body as well. To run 31" tires will the 7.5 rearend hold up to what I plan to do? Or should I swap to the 8.8 and I believe for the front Dana 35.
This is a great sight I'm glad i found it. Thanks for any help

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First of all welcome to TRS! It's a great site and if you do some research you can find out just about everything you need to know. You will be able to put the 31's on with very little rub with just 2 inches of lift, heck I had them on my step child project '89 with no lift and no real problems just not much room for wheel travel.
As for the engine the 2.8 won't have much torque to move the 31's unless you have at least 4.10 gears. I would suggest a 4.0 swap. I have two of them swapped to the 4.0 and trust me, for a DD/weekend off-roader you won't need anymore motor unless you start doing some serious off-roading.

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
Welcome to TRS! I am actually moving 36" Swampers with my 2.8 and 3.73 gears......:shok:

I have had my B2 with the 2.8 V6 for almost 18 years and actually ran 31's with the D28 and rear 7.5 for app. 15 of those years, I just went to 36's last week and still have the D28, I do have an 8.8 rear now and a D35 waiting in the shop.....you will have no problem running 31's with the 2.8. As far as lifting it to clear the tires, you will not need to lift the suspension AND the body, either one will clear 31's.

I have a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift myself but of course I had to do some fender trimming for the 36's. If I were you, I would just throw on a 3" body lift and leave the rest alone, the front 28 and rear 7.5 will be just fine for what you plan to use it for.

:icon_cheers:
B2

Leadchunker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with B2 addict, there are some mods you can do to the 2.8 to help. Duraspark Ignition for starters, easy to do and can be found in the tech library on this sight. Getting rid of the smog pump helps to, then just open up the exhaust some and you will notice more power. I would recommend the Rough Country 4" suspension lift $680 w/ shocks you really don't want to combine a body lift and suspension lift. The body lift is needed if you swap in a 302. As far as axles, you can stick with the D28 and 7.5 if you don't plan on upgrading. If you were to upgrade go with an 8.8 from a 97 Explorer for the disc brakes and a D35 from a 91-94 Explorer, this will allow more options for lockers, etc. These axles widen the stance about 3" and if you get rims with 3.5" back spacing the combined width and additional weight reduce the "top heavyness".

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Having owned a 54K original mile 2.8 in my '84 . . even after Duraspark/ carb and headers . . . . I couldn't wait to get rid of it. 2.8 just doesn't have the torque needed for a vehicle of this weight. It gets lousy MPG as well. For putting up with the lack or power and not getting an MPG benefit . . just proves its too much weight for this little engine in carb form. My 302 gets as good MPGs as the 2.8 got.

Ally1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all. Having injectors put in my Dodge 3500 right now it's always something but its my main ride so it has to be first. But the Bronco is next. I'm still deciding on a engine combo there are alot of good post here I have read way to much thats why the indecision.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Understandable. I too am facing the decision of which direction to go with an engine swap. I have 2 with the 4.0 swap and I want to go a little different direction on this one but which one??????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals