• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

which speaker wire is + and which is - in dash?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My 86 I am trying to correct the previous owners crappy stereo system and the kid that did it didn't have any idea what he was doing. Now I have never do door or dash speakers so I'm trying to learn as I go. On my 86 the driver side has two wires a white and an orange one that went to the factory speakers. On the passenger side there's a white and black wire that went to the speaker. Now before I blow my new speakers using trial and error I was hoping someone here could help. On my new speakers there is a + and - where the wires go. I tried to figure out which was + and - with a volt meter but they both have a current so that idea was shot down. Any idea which is which. I can't determine since both sides have a white that that one is power or since they both have white its the ground. I haven't done any kind of sound system in probably 5-6 years so :icon_confused:I'm a little rusty. :icon_confused:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well after reading this wiring diagram I got from lmc for the last 7 hours I have finally traced out all the wires and for anyone else that may do this the front left (+) is the orange/green wire the front left (-) is the black/ white wire. The front right (+) is the white/green wire and the front right (-) is the black/white wire. I still got to trace the back speakers out but that will be a headache for another day. The guide they sent me didn't specify the colors of each wire so that was the fun part.

hende

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been looking in my haynes and cant find it try google bet it pops up :icon_cheers:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Couple basic things here to learn.
First, if you have a black and white wire going to both speakers, that is obviously your negative wire. On most speaker systems, negative is common .

Secondly, if even in doubt, hook it up. You will not blow the speaker if it is backwards. What will happen is the cone will move in rather than out, noticeable on a bass note. So by watching the speaker, you can tell if it is connected correctly.

If you don't know which is positive and negative on the speaker, hook up a 9V battery to the speaker. Again watch which way it moves ( the cone ) and you can determine which connection is positive and which is negative.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You can always get out the multimeter too... connect it to both speaker wires, if it reads a negative number, your negative lead on the multimeter is connected to the positive speaker wire

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals