• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

73 mm MAF

chuckhotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Madza
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I been doing some research on using a 73mm MAF. I'm doing a 4.0 OHV with the comp 422 and all the goodies but was wondering if the OE MAS will work on a MAC 73mm MAF. I intend on getting the Quarterhorse software but will it do for the first start up or do I need something more set up for it being larger?
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Hey guys I been doing some research on using a 73mm MAF. I'm doing a 4.0 OHV with the comp 422 and all the goodies but was wondering if the OE MAS will work on a MAC 73mm MAF. I intend on getting the Quarterhorse software but will it do for the first start up or do I need something more set up for it being larger?
Thanks in advance,
Chuck
sounds like your doing the same comp cam swap I am.did u get the pushrods u needed yet?what yr ranger u doing it on?

Thertzler10

Reaction score
I’d like to know about this also. Not going to be running a 422 cam but would like to use this maf. Might just buy and install and see if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the idea is good

The only way to get more power from an engine is to add more air, plain and not so simple, lol.

What you should do is to install a vacuum gauge where you can see it in the cab
temp or permanent

Find a SAFE place where you can get to higher speed and open up to WOT(wide open throttle) for at least a few seconds, like 10 or more :)
What you want to see is 1.5 to 2" of vacuum in the intake, it means good air flow
Assuming no Boost has been added
Lower means valves are floating so no suction, higher means restricted air flow, could be MAF or throttle body or even air filter
You must have some suction or power is lost as no new fuel can flow into the cylinders

As you add parts to an engine you repeat the test, I think you will find stock MAFs can handle more air flow, and stock injectors as well
"Better in hock than stock", lol, but..........spend the money wisely

MAF only samples about 10% of the air coming in, computer uses that data to tell the WEIGHT of the incoming air, computer already knows the AMOUNT/VOLUME of the air, not too hard to calculate when you knows the displacement of the engine, RPM of engine and throttle position.
Air/fuel ratios are WEIGHT, for gasoline you have 14.7:1 ratio, so 14.7 POUNDS of air to 1 POUND of gasoline
Or 14.7grams of air to 1 gram of gasoline
So the weight of the air is the bigger deal which is why there is a MAF sensor and an air temp sensor(IAT)
Colder air weighs more, at higher altitude air is lighter, so a variable that needs to be addressed and needs to be acurate.
Changing the stock MAF to non-stock MAF requires you to tell computer the WEIGHT calibration for the new sensor

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals