• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Your Local Machine Shop Cost For Diesel Adapter

iAlovi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You could buy one, see how much for local shop to copy it, use the copy and then sell original.
You would need to find correct starter motor replacement, thats probably $200-$400 of the cost of the adapter kit
I wonder how much the start motor what be or where id need to get one, I'm talking to a guy on youtube who did the conversion but made the plate at home with a lot of plasma cutting drilling and measuring (obviously grinding too

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
As a professional fabricator/machinist, I bought a td conversions adapter kit instead of making my own. For me, it's more efficient to buy an adapter and spend the time saved doing wiring, tubing work, other misc fab/machining. That's an easy 30 hours of time I can put towards tasks that got the truck on the road faster.

By the time you pay a local shop to measure both engine and trans, design the plate, design the crank adapter, and make a starter work, you're not going to save any worthwhile money (and especially not time). There's a reason adapters are expensive; there's A LOT that goes into them to work well and not kill pilot bearings, clutch disks, or trans input bearings. Following the rules of business, the more products you make, the lower the profit margin needs to be. So the local machine shop making 1 adapter needs to make a good profit on one kit in order to keep their doors open. TD Conversions or anyone else only needs to make say $100 on each kit because they sell 5 a day.

Now if you were to design your own and just have a shop cut it, that's another matter. But if you had the skills to design your own adapter, I'm willing to say this thread wouldn't have been posted. I'm not trying to come off harsh or anything, but being in this business for over 10 years that's my experience. We all like to save money, but sometimes the pennies saved now end up costing many dollars later.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals