• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wires of oxygen sensor receiver

magrasjc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello!
Another step in my struggle with my 2004 Ford ranger 3L. The picture is near the firewall aft intake manifold.
I need to map the wires from the replacement oxygen sensor RECEIVER.
Not the front oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor receiver PLUGS Into the oxygen sensor.
Picture (on right) shows where pcv valve really is. Finally got truth when local Napa no longer carried it in stock.
The receiver wires are black, pink/orange, black/white and green/red.
How to map wires to those in picture?
Thank in advance,
JC Magras

magrasjc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok not receiver. It's a harness.
But I found http://computingzone.net/files/04_ford_ranger_complete.pdf p21 fig. 16: 3.0L, engine performance circuit 4/4.
Look at bottom right most oxygen sensor has correct colors.
Another article from stackexchange.com suggests that the black wires are heating elements.
Ok, how do I test the other wires. Most importantly where does the 2nd multimeter lead go?
Sincerely,
JC Magras

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On a new generic o2 sensor there are 4 wires. 2 white, a black and a gray. The white are ground, and the other 2 are heater and volt sense wire. I think the gray is heater but not absolutely sure. So the wires you have should correspond. I would test each wire for voltage with key on. Ground the multimeter to any ground. Probe the 4 wires. The one you find with volts is probably the heater. Then probing the other 3 wires with the ground lead you should be able to find 2 acting as ground. That leaves the 4th as sensor volt.

magrasjc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's the oxygen sensor HARNESS being replaced NOT THE SENSOR. The original sensor and harness merged from heat.
The wires pictures above are from the HARNESS.
I am mapping the harness wires pictured to the BLACK , BLACK/WHITE, GREEN/RED and ORANGE/RED OF the HARNESS Head.

Thx in advance,
JC Magras

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wires in the picture are:
red/black
green/red?
grey/purple?
yellow/grey?

And you are trying to match them to BLACK , BLACK/WHITE, GREEN/RED and ORANGE/RED

Black and black/white harness wires are Grounds and not associated with O2 sensor wiring, so are you sure this is related to O2 sensor

magrasjc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A response to a mechanics.stackexchange.com posting (52115 at bottom) said the black wires are for heating the oxygen sensor upon startup.
Which of the first picture's wires would map to these heating elements?
What are the other two wires doing?

The computingzone reference above leads to a block with 2 symbols:
A variable capacitor and the other is a pulsed waveform.

Thank in advance,
JC Magras

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The square pulse is the heater, no polarity, just 12v on one wire Ground on the other

The one with the arrow thru it is the sensor, arrow point is + other end - , - is the common(earth) wire at all O2 sensors and most of the other engine sensors, grey/red, or sometimes orange wire on O2 harness

O2 wire makers color chart here: http://www.hho4free.com/images/O2_color_codes.JPG

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's the oxygen sensor HARNESS being replaced NOT THE SENSOR. The original sensor and harness merged from heat.
The wires pictures above are from the HARNESS.
I am mapping the harness wires pictured to the BLACK , BLACK/WHITE, GREEN/RED and ORANGE/RED OF the HARNESS Head.

Thx in advance,
JC Magras
That's what I was trying to describe, how to determine the engine side of the harness regardless of wire color. I failed, sorry.

magrasjc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
Is there a way to socketize these wires?
I know about electrician's crimp shape like a sphere on one side and a skirt on the other side but this going to be in a hot engine compartment and cycled several times.
The multimeter showed zero even when I goined red/grey to all black.

Thx in advance,
JC Magras

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
O2 sensors come with connector attached, the difference in part numbers on O2 sensors refers to the length of the leads from O2 to the connector, sone have 6" lead, some 12", some 18", ect...............same sensor same wiring different part number

Ford O2 harness connector is like this: http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/7_11_2012_9_24_36_pm.jpg

Ford O2 replacement O2 sensor is like this: https://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/bos/15719/image/3/

You can go to a wrecking yard and cut out Ford harness O2 connector and solder wires
Or get a Ford O2 extension cable, it comes with a male and female connector, you can cut and splice what you need

Looks like this: https://www.jegs.com/i/Caspers-Electronics/182/109015/10002/-1

Comes with both connectors

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Harness side connector for driver's side upstream oxygen sensor, Motorcraft (Ford) WPT-807, $29 rockauto. Refer to my pics. What a pain in the a** to get to for repairs. Make sure you strap that new one down! You have the same year and 3.0. Looking into the end of the connector with the latch (wide square part) on top, pin 1 is top left, pin 2 is bottom left, pin 3 is bottom right, pin 4 is top right.
Pin 1- Yellow/ Light Blue stripe
Pin 2 - Light Blue/Orange stripe
Pin 3 - Gray/Red stripe
Pin 4 - Red/Black stripe
Verify wire colors on this one!
20190724_191248.jpg
20190724_191259.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals