• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why cant I buy......

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Placenta makes good power steering fluid...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I knew a guy who had a mullet era camaro, stripped the pan threads out, tack welded it, then smeared JB weld on it and sold it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I knew a guy who had a mullet era camaro, stripped the pan threads out, tack welded it, then smeared JB weld on it and sold it.
You need to go to some auto auctions if you think that's bad... the scams those guys do (which are all legal btw) are insane. Outside of a truck stop bathroom in memphis, you won't meet any shadier people than at an auto auction.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need to go to some auto auctions if you think that's bad... the scams those guys do (which are all legal btw) are insane. Outside of a truck stop bathroom in memphis, you won't meet any shadier people than at an auto auction.
The last dealership I was at once tried to seal a rust hole in the oil pan of a 7.3 with FlexSeal before we sent it to auction.

It held for a month before is started leaking.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
flex seal... those commercials crack me up bc the guy has a terrible lisp. I doubt that buggy was really put together with glue as you are trail riding the hell out of it. I will say the tape stuff works pretty good on boats and rvs lol. water is the enemy of both those however lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the auto repair industry got anywhere near the respect it deserves there wouldn't be quick lube places. There was a Jiffy Lube less than a mile from our dealership and we made a lot of money fixing their mistakes. Our synthetic blend oil change with real Motorcraft filters and oil was $1.50 less than their conventional change. I don't understand why anyone would let an untrained minimum wage lube "tech" touch their vehicle. When my daughter moved to Pa. I told her to ask her friends to recommend a local independent garage if there wasn't a dealer close by that she liked, they employ techs with at least some training and experience. One of my former techs hurt his wrist and had to find a different line of work so he worked at Jiffy Lube as a manager for a while but he brought his cars to us for transmission services. Ford at the time had 7 different transmission fluids, JL used 1 for all makes and dumped a brand specific additive into it- all Fords got the same stuff. I complained to him that Motorcraft bulk 5w30 was costing us $10.50 a gallon and he told me the Pennsoil they were buying was less than $1 a quart. Cheap fluids and filters installed by untrained chimps, what could go wrong? He was a good,professional tech and couldn't stand working there for long.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
flex seal... those commercials crack me up bc the guy has a terrible lisp. I doubt that buggy was really put together with glue as you are trail riding the hell out of it. I will say the tape stuff works pretty good on boats and rvs lol. water is the enemy of both those however lol.
Works pretty good to finish the season when augers wear thru thru tubes on combines too. Much better than duct tape.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the auto repair industry got anywhere near the respect it deserves there wouldn't be quick lube places.
This is so true. The problem is that to do anything right nothing is cheap, and people don't want to pay, they want the bill to be someone else's problem.

We had a woman who bought an HHR from us used, serviced it with us, came in complaining that she went down to Maryland for the weekend, and by the time she got back the engine was knocking. She said her husband had checked the oil and it was low, there was a leak from the filter, and it must be our fault and we owed her a new engine because we changed the oil last.

Well we got into her history and she hadn't had it to us for anything in a little over 15K miles. When we told her that she hadn't had the car in our garage in about 3x the recommended oil change interval, that the failure of the filter gasket would have been prevented by changing her oil on time, and that in light of all that we were not buying her an engine she started crying to everyone, the GM, the cops, the owners, the BBB, anyone who would listen.

We did end up trading her out of it and giving her way more than it was worth just to shut her up, but her husband had been buying cars from us for years, and the GM didn't want to loose his business, which I totally understand.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Works pretty good to finish the season when augers wear thru thru tubes on combines too. Much better than duct tape.
Gorilla tape is the ONLY tape to use on auger tubes. Say, that reminds me of a joke..

You know why they made Gleaner combines a galvanized silver color?

So the duct tape would match. lol

:derisive:

GB :)

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I drove my old 83 f100 around for a few weeks with that 3m "flex seal" tape holding a heater hose together. I'm actually rather fond of that stuff for emergencies. I also held a leaking trans pan together for a couple days with JB water weld putty. Sometimes there's a time and place for quick fix products.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gorilla tape is the ONLY tape to use on auger tubes. Say, that reminds me of a joke..

You know why they made Gleaner combines a galvanized silver color?

So the duct tape would match. lol

:derisive:

GB :)
The ol’ silver seeder...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My neighbor back at the old house had NOTHING but gleaner harvesting equipment. Swore by it. Finally last year he bought a big ol john deere, he ended up offing that after it was constantly broken down most of the fall.

.....and back to running the gleaners.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My neighbor back at the old house had NOTHING but gleaner harvesting equipment. Swore by it. Finally last year he bought a big ol john deere, he ended up offing that after it was constantly broken down most of the fall.

.....and back to running the gleaners.
Both my grandfathers had them and speak highly of them. They died out in my area due to lack of dealer support. Now it is green, red and a little yellow thrown in here and there. Combines are still rube goldberg contraptions, nobody wants to run 2hrs+ for parts.

They look kind of funny though and some things they did was kind of weird which makes it easy to get picked on. They were one of the first to switch to a rotor which everyone has now. Kind of funny, Ford wanted to buy them when they were for sale but A-C beat them to it by a matter of hours.

The flex seal tape was used on the bottom auger pan of a JD 6600 last year (fall 2017). He had it rebuilt this year (not available new) and playing with the stuff it still didn't want to come off. It is wicked stuff.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I've never heard of Gleaner... only Massey Ferguson, John Deere, and IMT (?), and a few smaller names.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never heard of Gleaner... only Massey Ferguson, John Deere, and IMT (?), and a few smaller names.
They are part of Agco with Massey now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals