• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where is my PIP sensor? 1991 3.0 w/ distributor

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not getting a spark. Tested it, and the ignition coil is not sparking. Tested the two wires going to the coil and the coil is not getting the pulse signal from Ignition Control Module. Located the ignition control module (in my case on the side of the radiator), and it doesn't seem to be getting a signal from the yellow and brown wire that leads to the PIP sensor.

Before I go ahead and take the distributor out which is tucked away in the back and supposedly contains the PIP sensor, I want to be sure that that is where the sensor is. My piece of crap Hanes manual has been incomplete or wrong about a number of things so far. I don't see that yellow and brown wire leading away from the distributor at first glance, so I was wondering if it is possible that the PIP sensor might be located somewhere else. I can always try to trace that wire back from the ICM and see where it goes, but I was hoping somebody could save me some time.

Thanks in advance!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its a Hall Effect Sensor in the distributor that generates the PIP, 3 wire sensor, 12v, ground and the Pulse wire

These generally don't fail but certainly can fail like any part can

You have a TFI spark system, info here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

The 3.0l had Remote mounted TFI(ICM) module(on radiator) with 2 wires to the distributor, I show a grey/orange and black wire
Distributor has a 4 wire connector, 2 of the wires run to TFI the other 2 are 1 to PCM(computer), and one is 12volt power
To TFI module are PIP signal the grey/orange wire
And Black is the common ground between TFI and distributor

On distributor, the Red/light green is 12volts key on, its a common key on 12v wire shared by fuel injectors, TFI(ICM) and most solenoids
Then an orange/red wire which is also a ground but from/for PCM

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! Is there anything else you would be looking at at this point? If my coil isn't getting a pulse signal, it's got to be either the ICM or the PIP sensor, right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, test coil for 12v with key on and if possible test with key in START position, there are TWO different 12v wires that supply coil 12volts so it is possible to have 12v key on but no 12v when cranking engine

To test if its ICM or distributor sensor, crank engine over a few times and then pull out 1 spark plug
If spark plug tip is dry then its distributor sensor
If spark plug tip is WET with gasoline then its the ICM

PCM runs fuel injectors
ICM runs spark

With the Remote mounted TFI module the PCM and ICM are both connected to the PIP signal, the grey/orange wire splits, one goes to pin 6 on ICM, the other to pin 56 on PCM, same wire colors

So if spark plug is WET then PCM is getting the PIP, timing pulse, so starts adding fuel to the engine, when its cranking because distributor sensor is sending out the PIP

misterW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you, that makes sense. Much appreciated

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals