• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats this new windshield coating stuff?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Had to drop my moms new edge off at the dealer today for them to "re-apply the windshield coating". Never heard of it, no idea what it is.

The paper says your suppose to have this done every six months? Is this actually worth it (I mean its free) but are they just putting rain-x on the damn thing?

Called "crystal fusion coating" on the form.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's free to have done at the dealer for the next 4 years according to the form. Of course they may have just snuck the fee into the cost of the car... :rolleyes:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Of course they may have just snuck the fee into the cost of the car... :rolleyes:
Exactly. And then you pay interest on it too! I'd be curious to know what your (her) sales paperwork shows. Probably a couple hundred $$ added to the price of the car, plus the interest for the remainder of the loan.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'll have to look. I did all the paperwork, it's in my name but after an hour of filling out forms at some point when buying the thing I just blacked out... car dealerships are worse than going to the dentist. Which is why I've only gone to either twice in my life.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup I aparently paid 280 bucks for it... :rolleyes:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Always pays to check all the info and charges on those purchase orders and paper work. Many will try to add whatever they can to make a few xtra bucks.
I remember the old "stain proofing" the interior for some really stupid amount when all it was was a $4 buck can of spray Scotchguard.
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
In my defense my mother was the one going over the options and accessories. I was just there to sign the loan. There's a few stupid purchases on there I never saw. 83 dollars for mud flaps which are on the front of the wheel wells? Is that for the person who enjoys driving down gravel roads backwards? :icon_confused:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They help with the fuel mileage numbers. How exactly, I can’t say. I’ve seen them on a few vehicles. The girlfriend’s Nissan has them in the front of the rear wheel wells and on the front of the front wheel wells on my 2019 Ranger.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They help with the fuel mileage numbers. How exactly, I can’t say. I’ve seen them on a few vehicles. The girlfriend’s Nissan has them in the front of the rear wheel wells and on the front of the front wheel wells on my 2019 Ranger.
Yeah after 157,237 miles you will have earned 1 free gallon of gas with those front flaps hahahahahaha ha.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The only accessories I asked for were the floor mats, and the dash cam system. The rest of the stuff on this thing are bafflingly stupid. Aparently I also paid extra for color changing interior floor lighting... :rolleyes:

This is only the second new car I've ever purchased. My ranger was a leftover fleet truck that was sitting on the lot for over a year. I said give me that and handed the guy money. Probably the shortest transaction of that sales guys life. But buying this edge was a nightmare for me. I hate salesman, I hate haggling, I hate dealing with loans, and trade in value and paperwork. It literally took 3 days to finish the deal. Then 2 more days for them to install the dash cam.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The only accessories I asked for were the floor mats, and the dash cam system. The rest of the stuff on this thing are bafflingly stupid. Aparently I also paid extra for color changing interior floor lighting... :rolleyes:

This is only the second new car I've ever purchased. My ranger was a leftover fleet truck that was sitting on the lot for over a year. I said give me that and handed the guy money. Probably the shortest transaction of that sales guys life. But buying this edge was a nightmare for me. I hate salesman, I hate haggling, I hate dealing with loans, and trade in value and paperwork. It literally took 3 days to finish the deal. Then 2 more days for them to install the dash cam.
My daughter loves the color changing accent lighting... she’s 9, I get it. She would change the color everyday in my last truck.
I love buying a new car. I love beating up the salesmen to throw in “more”. I’ve gotten Freehold Ford polo shirts, DVD players for the headrests, bed liners, a 6’x8’ Yamaha poster off the wall in the showroom, free lunch. I had them deliver the truck to me because “I was making dinner and don’t want to leave the house”. They will throw in anything you ask for to make a sale. I’m trying to get them to throw in the old Ford sign off the building with the new truck I ordered.
Just last week I looked at a Roush F-150. They gave me an initial price of $4000 down/$775 a month lease. I walked out when they wouldnt budge from $4k/$650. I got a call the next day, they offered $4k/$600. I told them I won’t pay more then $4k/$550... for a $73k truck.
Just sit down, throw your feet up on the salesman’s desk, and be ready to walk if they don’t match your number. There’s another dealer down the road.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I got a good deal in the end. I fought mainly over the trade in value of my mkx. I knew if they gave me x amount for the trade in they would just add x amount to the price so I settled on a price for the edge first and then told them I had a trade in. I ended up getting 15k for the mkx :yahoo:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Agree, probably just pricey Rain-X.

Pro tip: Twice a year scrub your windshield with Bon-Ami cleanser, rinse, dry, and top with two coats of Rain-X. The Bon-Ami gets the road grit off the glass and the Rain-X works twice as good. You must use Bon-Ami, it's the only cleanser that won't scratch the glass. I do my headlights with it too. 12 years old and the plastic is still clear.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I already paid for them to do the crystal crap twice a year for 4 years so I'm just gonna let them keep doing it. My mom says it does work, water and snow slide right off.

I always prepped my windshields with 90% rubbing alcohol and steel wool when putting on rain-x

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals