• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to use for a clutch master cylinder for a t5 manual

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
i was wondering what people use for a clutch master cylinder for a v8 swap with a t5 manual?can i use my 87 ranger clutch master cylinder on t5s slave cylinder or not??let me know who used what and how well it worked.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I use the stock 87 clutch master cylinder with my T5Z but I used a Tilton 6000 series hydraulic release bearing (slave cylinder)

It will depend on what slave cylinder you use.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
would the sn95 slave cylinder work with the 87 rangers clutch master cylinder?or will i have to find a replacement like u did?did the tilton 6000 connect right to it or did u have to modify it at all?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I know nothing about the SN95 slave cylinders..

As for the Tilton 6000 series, it hooked right up to my stock 87 Ranger clutch master cylinder with the adapter and AN hose that came with it from Modern Driveline. I had to remove the trans a few months later because it ruined a throwout bearing very quickly. I measured the depth to set the adjustable slave cylinder a dozen times before installing it all, but something must have been off.. The replacement flat-face throwout bearings are stupid expensive to replace at $50 each and you have to remove the trans. When installing my new bearing I readjusted the length/depth of the slave cylinder, checking it several times with a depth caliper before install, and it's been problem free ever since. *fingers crossed*

Be aware though, when using the Tilton 6000, you can over-extend it easily, ruining the seal and possibly other parts like the bearing. You have to fabricate and install a clutch pedal stop. Mine is just a piece of angle iron with two holes drilled in it and I bolted it behind the clutch pedal on a factory bracket. I slotted the holes in the bracket to give a small amount of adjustment, and then followed the Tilton instructions to adjust it.

To be honest, if you've got the room without having the drivers side exhaust too close to it, an external slave would be an easier solution and so much cheaper. As long as the throwout bearing stays good, you can replace the external slaves very easily if they go bad. Google has TONS of info on using the external slaves on Foxbody and SN95 bellhousings and T5 transmissions..

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
good to know thanks.i did read on the how tech section that this person recommened the f-150 external slave cylinder as well and use a f-150 bell housing for it

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
What did u use for a trans crossmember on your truck bird76mojo?and did buy a new drive shaft or did ranger one for u?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
And what manual trans do u have t5?t56?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
good to know thanks.i did read on the how tech section that this person recommened the f-150 external slave cylinder as well and use a f-150 bell housing for it
I used an F150 bell and slave cylinder in my '87 but I run a toploader 4-speed. I don't think a T5 will bolt to the old style bell. Maybe they make an adapter or it could be redrilled. Actually I'm not sure, maybe they made an older T5 with the same bolt pattern.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I'm not sure if I even have to change anything at the moment just curious if anyone's had any issues using the t5 t56 to connect to ranger master cylinder.not sure if I have to change starter at all either for clearence.it seems way easier to do a v8 swap in a 1st gen s10 then a ranger.kills me to c how much of a pain it is.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I'm not sure if I even have to change anything at the moment just curious if anyone's had any issues using the t5 t56 to connect to ranger master cylinder.not sure if I have to change starter at all either for clearence.it seems way easier to do a v8 swap in a 1st gen s10 then a ranger.kills me to c how much of a pain it is.
Oh, I see what you're saying. I'm sure lots have used the T5 and maybe they'll chime in. I believe the master changed when they stopped using the TK Ranger trans and went to the M5OD around late '88. I ran into that confusion when I was going to use an M5 from a late model F150. I ended up just using the "try it and see method" and mine worked out alright. It ended up being a blessing because I can't imagine pulling a 1-piece 5-speed out to change an internal slave cylinder. Even with my removable trans it's still a pain getting the bellhousing out around the radius arm crossmember. As for clearances, I use the big bellhousing for 164T flywheel, a giant old style starter, and an external slave cylinder and I have no clearance issues with Tri-Y headers.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I wonder how many teeth my flywheel has in my donor sn95 has now.it may already have that many teeth.whats I'm your truck now auto or manual?also what did u use for a trans crossmember and drive shaft.factory ranger or something else?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I'm not sure how many teeth on the SN95 years. It used to be pretty much a car had 157T and a truck had 164T but Ford has changed a lot of things. I use an old toploader 4-speed manual transmission and my stock crossmember with the rubber bushings on the sides. The shifter actually comes out in the same place as my old TK-5, just a few inches to the left for the external linkages. My trans mount is about 4" further forward now so I made a plate to bolt to the trans mount then back to the crossmember. I'm using my stock driveshaft, I just had to change the yoke for the one that fits my trans. My stock crossmember has broken one of its bushings, maybe from the torque of the V8, but I picked up a solid crossmember from a '93 Ranger to bolt in. I'm just waiting on warmer weather. I'm possibly the cheapest person on the planet so most of what I used were swap meet parts or parts I had laying around. The only thing I bought new was a slave cylinder, clutch kit and my clutch line. The firewall is really flimsy in these trucks. My clutch pedal pressure isn't terrible but it still flexes the whole firewall when it's mashed. That needs to be reinforced. I'm hoping it'll hang in there til spring.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had one ranger the firewall had flexed so much that it had a crack radiating out from the master about a foot long. No wonder the clutch would never release properly.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I'm not sure what manual trans my 4cyl currently has.it would b nice if I could still use my current drive shaft and oem trans crossmember.all really good info man.thanx.hopefully I can start ripping motor out next spring and c where it goes from there.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use the stock 87 clutch master cylinder with my T5Z but I used a Tilton 6000 series hydraulic release bearing (slave cylinder)

It will depend on what slave cylinder you use.
How do you like that Titon? Good clutch engagement and release?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals