• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what should compression numbers be on a 2.9l

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up a 1987 ranger 2.9, its missing a few things so i decided to do a compression test before i fixed it up. my results were 120 on 3 cylinders, 115 on one cylinder and 110 on two cylinders. I was wondering if these numbers are ok. I know the general rule is no more than 10% difference between max and min but i can't find anything specific that says what the compression numbers should be on a 2.9. so do these numbers seem good?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Psi doesn't matter. More things effect cylinder psi readings than just how "good" the motor is. Not all gauges are even equal.

Do a wet test then compare all the numbers together. But only 5 psi difference between cylinders on a dry test is a good start.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those numbers a bit to the low side, but not horrible.

Dirtman is right for the most part, the only thing I'd add is that starting around 90 PSI there isn't enough pressure in the cylinder to get the fuel mix to burn when cold, so if your compression drops below 90 PSI then it won't run.

That's still 20 to 25 PSI difference, and it can take a long time to loose that much.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well my main point is most cheap gauges are never very accurate so 115 psi could really be 150 psi... put 3 different gauges on you'll get 3 different sets of numbers. Which is why I rarely pay attention to the specific number (unless its drastically off) and just go by what they are between cylinders, and between wet/dry.

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well my main point is most cheap gauges are never very accurate so 115 psi could really be 150 psi... put 3 different gauges on you'll get 3 different sets of numbers. Which is why I rarely pay attention to the specific number (unless its drastically off) and just go by what they are between cylinders, and between wet/dry.
I was using my roommates harbor freight compression tester which i know is a cheap tester so probably not very accurate, ill do a wet test later today along with i want to do a leak down test in the next few days. this was my parts truck and i know no history of the engine just that some things like the distributor and idle air control valve were taken off, still going through it to see whats missing. just trying to test it to see if its a good engine before i go ahead and put new parts on it. only reason for trying to fix it is because i totaled my daily last week which is the exact same truck just different color so if worst comes to worst ill just pull the engine from my totaled one which i know was a good engine.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Its very rare you see a truely worn out 2.9.

They are pretty hardy little bastards.

Even with those compression numbers id say its fine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to test all 6 cylinders at the same time with all 6 spark plugs removed for the test, and hold throttle wide open, gas pedal to the floor, when cranking

Crank speed effects compression, because metal rings on/in a metal cylinder and metal valves on metal seats DO NOT hold air very well :)
Its a temporary seal at the very best of times, so the speed of the piston compressing the air matters a lot

So all cylinders except the test cylinder should be open, no spark plug, so their compression doesn't slow down the crank speed

Test all 6 and write down results
Gauge accuracy then won't matter too much because you have a larger sample, 6 numbers not just 2
Then do the WET test and write down results
WET test numbers will always be higher, thats normal since oil seals the rings better, but how much higher determines if the rings in one or more cylinders are a problem

A Vacuum gauge($20) can also tell you if compression is lower that it should be on a running engine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals