• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What pull behind Camper?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Yes sir! :) I believe the "tow package" included that and the tail light plug(which simply plugs into the L-R tail lights connection)
The factory tow package was only the hitch. The 4-pin trailer wiring plug is on all 98+ Rangers.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The factory tow package was only the hitch. The 4-pin trailer wiring plug is on all 98+ Rangers.
I'm fairly certain that came from an official source sir, although atm I can't quote it :)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I'm fairly certain that came from an official source sir, although atm I can't quote it :)
I had a 99 that I got new without the tow package but it had a 4-pin plug under the bumper. I got a bumper ball and used it to tow my jetski. I traded it on a 02 that I also got new (someone ran a stop sign and demolished my 99), it had the tow package with a factory Class III/IV hitch and the same 4-pin plug for trailer lights. FWIW, my kids got bigger so I traded the 02 on my first Sport Trac which did not have a tow package but it still had a 4-pin plug under the bumper.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahh, maybe they've begun adding them to all, after all, the bumper still has the ball pin hole even though it's for lighter loads.
For all I know they always have done this, not absolutely certain where I got the initial information anyway :)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Ahh, maybe they've begun adding them to all, after all, the bumper still has the ball pin hole even though it's for lighter loads.
For all I know they always have done this, not absolutely certain where I got the initial information anyway :)
The bumper ball is essentially a Class II hitch. 350 lb tongue load and 3500 lb trailer iirc. I don't know when they added the trailer plug, my first Ranger was a 99 and it had one, as did my next Ranger and two Sport Tracs.

07-10 Sport Tracs like mine came stock with a Class II receiver hitch and a 4-pin plug but there was an optional Class III/IV that included a 7-pin plug to power larger trailers and hook up electric trailer brakes.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not exactly sure what they all had from the factory. But my 06 looks to have a factory 4 pin connector.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 2011 came with the tow package and a four pin plug. Being that most trailers with brakes in the U.S. are larger than what the Ranger is rated for, a seven pin plug would be all but useless.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
My 2011 came with the tow package and a four pin plug. Being that most trailers with brakes in the U.S. are larger than what the Ranger is rated for, a seven pin plug would be all but useless.
Towing laws vary by state but I think once you're over 1500 lb every state requires trailer brakes. They're not always electric brakes where you need the 7-pin plug and a brake controller. Surge brakes are common on boat trailers and rental trailers where there is a master cylinder connected to the hitch and when you apply the truck's brakes the trailer tongue pushes against the hitch and applies the trailer brakes.

I saw these A Liner campers a few weeks ago at the Pittsburgh RV Show. It's a pop-up but hard-sided, different levels of equipment, you can get a kitchen and A/C, and they don't weigh a lot.

https://aliner.com/

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Towing laws vary by state but I think once you're over 1500 lb every state requires trailer brakes. They're not always electric brakes where you need the 7-pin plug and a brake controller. Surge brakes are common on boat trailers and rental trailers where there is a master cylinder connected to the hitch and when you apply the truck's brakes the trailer tongue pushes against the hitch and applies the trailer brakes.

I saw these A Liner campers a few weeks ago at the Pittsburgh RV Show. It's a pop-up but hard-sided, different levels of equipment, you can get a kitchen and A/C, and they don't weigh a lot.

https://aliner.com/
Every state is different. 3000 lbs is the most common, only a few states require brakes at 1500lbs.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Every state is different. 3000 lbs is the most common, only a few states require brakes at 1500lbs.
Perhaps my memory is faulty and states start requiring trailer brakes once you're over 1500 lb.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you can buy a small enclosed trailer and make you own mimi camper.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I do believe the weight requirement for brakes in PA is 3,000#.

My utility trailer will eventually get them even though its max weight loaded will be 2,000#. I want to be able to take it on trails and brakes would be beneficial in that situation. The frame is and will be beefed up with that in mind. It won't be a rock crawler but it will need to be able to handle rutted, unimproved trails. The brakes are going to be the surge style so that it won't be dependent on the tow vehicle having a 7-Pin connector. The reason for that is because of my volunteering with search and rescue. One just never knows what vehicle is going to be used and where we will need to go in order to setup and start the search.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My truck has a factory tow package and it has the better hitch and the button to turn off overdrive. Not sure if all rangers came with that button or not. I never really messed with it. Truck always pulled my trailer fine but it's just a 6x8 trailer loaded with fire wood. My trailer has a dry weight of 700 lbs, with it loaded 3 feet high with firewood i'm sure it weighs over 1500 lbs. maybe even more I'm just doing a low guesstimate on weight. As for the hitch fitting, yes it SHOULD fit. I have a first gen bumper on my 99 ranger and it bolted right in place as if it was the exact same frame. I would assume the hitch would be the same since it mounts the same considerably.

Volkshook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Pretty sure it's stock. I could be wrong.
Tire Size
P215/75R15
My credo
Nothing personal. I'd rather be driving my Bug.
Guys, I think I just did a dumb. I bought a trailer. The positive: (1) it's really small (the window that's partially obscured by the shed in the picture is the back corner, and the Google search for specs turned up a weight between 1500 and 1900 lbs); (2) it's in pretty darned good shape considering (3) they were only asking $800.

Please tell me there's hope that I didn't do the dumb I think I did.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does it come with the 5th wheel mount for the truck bed?

Been looking for something similar myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals