TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OEM manufacturers should have never been demanded to get rid of glass headlights by the government in the first place. In my opinion, they're far superior to plastic lenses and the crappy oem headlight quality we get today. My 87 Ranger has some super bright glass headlights. Just amazing on high beam.
Mine is awesome on high beam. Low beam is like two incandescent maglites though. It is like the angle isn't right, low beam is right in front of the truck.

I want to get the housings to convert it to H4 bulbs sometime.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 57CD9601BD5AB4 Expires: July 1, 2019

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
I've often wondered if the LMC headlight relay harnesses would be worth the price and trouble to install. I suppose full battery power going directly to the headlights can't be a bad thing, and taking that high amperage load off of the old harnesses would also be a major benefit. The way Ford wired these things is insane. I had trouble with my old 2nd gen melting the headlight harness wiring plug behind the dash switch, and I also own a Bronco II that caught on fire because of it. It was beyond totaled.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think it would be very hard to make one really, it is a ways down on my to-do list.

Ford didn't have the greatest light switches in the world either in the 80's...

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For headlight adjustment I found it works best when you park about 50 feet in front of the side of a building or something with a good solid wall and you can see the angle of the headlights. I had to adjust them on my old van when it got hit by a deer. Also helps to stand about 100-150 feet in front of it with the lights on and see if it is blinding. Rule of thumb for headlights is down and to the right that way you aren't blinding anyone. I aim my fog lights down but not towards the right bc they are low enough and angled downward so they don't blind.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't think it would be very hard to make one really, it is a ways down on my to-do list.

Ford didn't have the greatest light switches in the world either in the 80's...
I am probably going to rewire the headlights into a relay system soon. I have to pull the engine soon, and that will be a good time to do it.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
The worst headlight system in any car that I have owned was the headlights on my 1994 Dodge Intrepid. that car's lighting system just plain sucked.

the best headlight system was on my Dad's 1993 Buick Century. I have not found any that have beat these two yet in the past 25 years.

The 97's lights are adequate. not bad, not super great either.

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am probably going to rewire the headlights into a relay system soon. I have to pull the engine soon, and that will be a good time to do it.
I haven't gotten any farther into it than this but this might help:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I haven't gotten any farther into it than this but this might help:

Electrically it is a very simple mod. I'm going to look at using slots in my engine bay fuse block. My engine harness came from a pretty loaded 94 Explorer, and I have a bunch of relay slots open.

Plus doing that will make the headlights key-on, so I can't leave them on by accident.

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
Got my 2001 buried today trying to go fishing. Going down a grass covered access road to a local pond, after it rained about 2 inches last night, and an inch the day before... Smart move, I know!! On the left was a very large hill which drains in to a ditch full of cat-tails that's about 5ft across and 3feet deep, and on the right was a tilled field that was a bottomless slop pit. Someone had done some backhoe work cleaning silt out of the ditch and just dumped the buckets on to the grass road. It honestly looked easy to cross. Just a few little bumps of wet dirt about a foot high and a couple ruts that were about 10ft long and maybe 6" deep. BOY WAS I EVER WRONG!!

The mounds of wet dirt upset the truck and made it slide sideways, which got one rear tire off in to the edge of the field. After that it was a fight just to keep more tires from dropping in to the slop. The road had a little slope towards the field, so fighting to keep it from sliding further in to the field was very difficult. I ended up having the rear pumpkin sitting on the ground and the front tires dug in way too deep to go anywhere.

Get out, pop the hood, hook up the electrical connection for the winch. Run the controller in to the cab through the window.. There was no way to get across the ditch full of cat-tails, water, and silt except wade across it. Lost a shoe about 2.5ft under water and had to fish that out.

Found a very large cedar tree and anchored the cable to it, waded back across the ditch, get in the truck, and start winching/spinning. It pulled me forward until I almost dropped a tire off in the ditch on the left, but more importantly, it got that rear tire out of the field. Got out, waded back across the ditch and unhooked from the tree.. Wade back across the ditch again, rewind the winch cable, get in and hold it to the floor and hugged that deep ditch and luckily I shot across everything successfully.

But my problems weren't over. I still had to go up a hill, turn around, and re-cross everything I had just bogged through and made 1.5ft deep ruts in.

I got a run at it, hugged the ditch to stay out of the field because the road's slope wanted to send you in to the field, and hit everything at about 20mph. Right as I hit the ruts, I stomped it to the floor to get it to kick down a gear to keep the tires clean, and luckily it walked right across it all, staying straight and didn't end up in the ditch OR the field.

TIME FOR A NEW SET OF MUD TIRES, a fresh engine, and a re-gear to 4.56

I know it doesn't look bad in these pictures at all, but it's the most buried my truck has been in years. I stopped at my buddies house about a 1/4 mile away to take pics and put up my winch controller, etc..

(the engine having 183,000 miles on it and still having 4.10 gears with 33" tires, the truck was really struggling once I was sunk in)

buried5-23_4.jpg

buried5-23_3.jpg

After the drive home, and I'm getting ready to pressure wash it. (it's pre-soaked in the last pic)

buried5-23__2.jpg

buried5-23.jpg

Thank the lort I bought that 9000lb Superwinch!!!

GB :)

Ranger850

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
or maybe that heavy bumper/winch combo is what drove the front into the mud.???

9000 lbs is a lot of weight out front. lol

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" Superlift
Tire Size
33"
My credo
Good enough
What drove the front end in to the mud was the rear pumpkin sitting on the ground and me stomping the go pedal while turning the wheel back and forth. lol

racsan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3/140-4
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
summer-255/70/15, winter 225/70/15
My credo
built, not bought
Got my steering linkage parts all changed out and my own alignment done. Needed the reading glasses to see the 16ths on the tape. Sure is a lot better now and steering wheel is straight now. Had been almost a 1/4 turn to the left ever since I got it. Camber is just over 90 degrees, as long as it’s not negative I’m leaving it be. Set toe at 1/16th toed in. Between the steering linkage, adjusters and tie rod ends, plus last weeks new rotors, bearings and brake pads I’ve put out around 300$, but well spent. Drives and stops so much better. I’m surprised the squealing wheel bearing never locked up on me. I never did take it apart and look at it.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been struggling to get my MAF back online with my MSPNP GEN2 ECU for about a week. Can't seem to get a signal to the ECU even though the MAF is producing signal. Speed Density was working okay, but I wanted more accuracy in the fuel tuning and MAF seemed the way to go. I haven't given up but moving jumpers around and soldering wires is getting old right now.

Attachments

G8orFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

How long before catastrophic failure?
Gasket was leaking so I figured I'd fix that and check it out. Looks kinda bad to me, but I have no previous experience with the 4.0 SOHC.

Also, truck had been sitting for 3 years. Number 1 cam lobes have suffered.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '94, '80
Make / Model
Ford, GMC
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 27302

How long before catastrophic failure?
Gasket was leaking so I figured I'd fix that and check it out. Looks kinda bad to me, but I have no previous experience with the 4.0 SOHC.

Also, truck had been sitting for 3 years. Number 1 cam lobes have suffered.
View attachment 27303
I hope those are roller cam followers. I would try to polish the lobes affected. Stuff rags around to catch any grit. Change oil after driving for 50-100 miles.