Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

Dirtman

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
Give me money.
Your parents didn't notice it going and coming, while you were in GA?
They are old. They wouldn't notice if the house caught fire for one. I have security systems, cameras, and fire/smoke/carbon monoxide detectors all synced to my phone at their place. I checked in on my truck while I was in GA with the security cam, but it was parked in the same spot so I couldn't tell it moved. Plus they know my friends and people are coming and going getting things from their garages (my stuff) all the time so they pay no attention.

PacificGreen1998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
A momentary switch would be fine but it is nice to use these as work lights, that's why I wired mine to a switch instead of to the reverse lights. They make good work lights, way better than factory reverse lights. You could turn a switch on/off just as fast as a momentary switch. Just my 2 cents.
K makes more sense, sounds better in retrospect....was a little tired when I made that post this morning...thanks for the idea.....personally I'm not so sure I'm going to be keeping old green in a year or two...because my grandpa never took it in very often for maintenance unless something broke...+ it sitting for long periods....for a while four or more years ago I was just adding oil every month because of previous mentioned head gasket leaks... basically old green has low miles but she was not maintenanced very well and as a result of that she's in poor shape right now, because I crawled under it not too long ago tonight to see if my radiator was leaking still which isn't just needed cap tightened and topped back up but it looks like my oil pan gasket is a little wet not leaking or pissing oil Every Witch Way but it is a tiny bit concerning, when I went through the owner's manual book that kept all the other manuals and registration papers I found there was multiple recalls on this truck from the previous owner before my grandpa so that definitely makes this an early third gen but they were weird recalls that I haven't seen on The Forum before so I might have to post a picture of them sometime see if any of you guys maybe heard about them...

Last edited:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/R14 / 225/70/15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
when I went through the owner's manual book that kept all the other manuals and registration papers I found there was multiple recalls on this truck from the previous owner before my grandpa so that definitely makes this an early third gen but they were weird recalls that I haven't seen on The Forum before so I might have to post a picture of them sometime see if any of you guys maybe heard about them...

Personally I wouldn't call the 5th year of 3rd gen early, The third gen started in 93 then revamped the interior in 95 and adding in the OBD-2 system. In 98 is when they introduced the IFS and a face lift, bumper, grill, head lights ect.. Because your is that first year of the IFS it would not surprise me if the recalls have a lot to do with that.

EDIT: my bad I may be confusing the gens here, Is the 91 and 92 considered 1st gen also?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/R14 / 225/70/15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Cleaned the snow off, shoveled around it and did Xmas shopping. I come back to a car parked in the nice clear spot that took me over and hour to clean. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled.

snoranger

This page left blank intentionally
Supporting Member
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'17
Make / Model
All Fords
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Personally I wouldn't call the 5th year of 3rd gen early, The third gen started in 93 then revamped the interior in 95 and adding in the OBD-2 system. In 98 is when they introduced the IFS and a face lift, bumper, grill, head lights ect.. Because your is that first year of the IFS it would not surprise me if the recalls have a lot to do with that.

EDIT: my bad I may be confusing the gens here, Is the 91 and 92 considered 1st gen also?
No... 89-92 is 2nd gen

4.0blue98

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
"eh screw it, its fine"
Cleaned the snow off, shoveled around it and did Xmas shopping. I come back to a car parked in the nice clear spot that took me over and hour to clean. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled.
Been there... You need to pile it up and park on top.

ericbphoto

Old Redneck just wingin' it.
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

4.0blue98

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
"eh screw it, its fine"
Could be. Whatever you have to pile up...

It does work on so many levels.

PetroleumJunkie412

2.9 Mafia
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I now know why my truck started up so easily after sitting for 3 weeks. I left it at my parents house since they drove me to the airport. When I left the truck had a full tank of gas and was absolutely spotless. I get back and it has 120 miles on the tank and it looks like this...

View attachment 34356

My dad swares he never touched it which leaves my one buddy since he is the only person with keys. I'm on my way to his house to dump all this trash on his front lawn. :mad:
BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN

Or don't. Whatever. I just work here. TF do I know.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I rigged up the spare tire in the holder... turns out they installed the spare tire and ditched both the bolt that holds the tire to the carrier and the bolt that holds the carrier up, WTF?

After digging through my bolts it turns out both are for whatever reason 12mm by I think 1.75mm which is very inconvenient when you don't have either... I found one bolt for the bracket and made a bolt to hold the tire in with some 1/2" allthread, a nut, a washer and a 12mm die... Also installed the battery fully, I installed a wedge since every Ford I've bought aside from the '90 Ranger have been missing the battery wedge for whatever reason... the F350 was missing BOTH, all batteries retained by pure gravity or a bungie...

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums
I think there is a 3-way toggle available. Up is on, middle is off, and down is momentary.
I have one on my Harley, so I can turn my lights off when necessary. My starter switch is a spring actuated toggle.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
3 inch drop beams/88
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Fords and Drums

I've noticed thru searching online that people are getting confused on the whole "Generation" thing. 89'-92' is SECOND Generation! Has been for 30 years until recently. People are trying to call them "Late first Gen". And they are wrong!

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33/12.5/15
The ranger has been abused lately, with all the rock throwing and all. Lol so I took it on a beer run today. It hasn't been touched in about 6 weeks and she started right up, not even a tick out of the 2.9 !
Making a little progress on the b2. Changing the body mounts and adding a 2" body lift. Peeked under the carpet and was pleasantly surprised to see this!!!
IMG_20191207_135732.jpg

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced the tailgate rubber seal on my '90 Bronco II. The original one had split open all along the bottom edge. The LMC Truck supplied replacement fit perfectly and seems to be very good quality.