Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was thinking more along the lines of - after the V8 swap the clutch can be touchy compared to a lot of other vehicles, and the throttle is touchy as well. Dad killed it twice trying to back out of the field entrance before he decided to just use the field to turn around. lol
Every non-Ranger person stalls mine out 2-3 times, then drives it at 1500-2000 rpm. It's a Ranger with a 2.9. Rev the sh*t out of it. 😑

Funny enough, I used to do the same thing until I read an old post on here that was something along the lines of "most people don't know how to drive a 2.9"

As for my Ranger, I stuck a dehumidifier bag in it and wanted to drive it, but I didn't. Center link ball joint went to sh*t. Waiting on a new one.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was that guy who dug the river that got it all screwed up!
We have that problem with Nebraska.

Then somebody decided to move the river and now part of Iowa is on the wrong side of the river. And the resulting lake is I suppose good for revenue because everybody thinks it is in Nebraska and doesn't have an Iowa fishing license when they try to fish there.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put two new Bosch O2 sensors in mine, probly the first ones it's had in its 27 year history.
It sure did a world of good

racsan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 (mostly)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3/140-4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/15
My credo
built, not bought
bought some “new” rims today, found a deal too good to pass up, 4 ‘05 explorer rims with tires. 245/75/16. not sure how my 2.3/4.10 will like it but they aint much taller than the 235/15’s ive ran during the summer. If I dont like them I can always sell them or use them as trailer tires. funny thing is the date code makes these the newest tires I own, just 3 years old on the tires, about 1/2-3/4 tread left. not really good tread for snow so I will try them on in the spring. I will need some of those sholder lug nuts to use the center caps. grrr-100$ for 20 of those through napa.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will need some of those sholder lug nuts to use the center caps. grrr-100$ for 20 of those through napa.
Are they like the originals? I found them laying all over the place at the wrecking yard
for free! :)

8thTon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I put two new Bosch O2 sensors in mine, probly the first ones it's had in its 27 year history.
It sure did a world of good
Going to do that on my ‘04. O2 sensors degrade over time and cause the mixture to be richer.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Going to do that on my ‘04. O2 sensors degrade over time and cause the mixture to be richer.
Man I let mine go way too long. It's probably been a problem the last 5 or 6 years but I just didn't have a clue.
It turned out to be a lot easier than i had expected also because I took em loose from underneath, then pulled them top side to get the plugs loose. Piece of cake after I'd done it, simply plugged em back on and dropped it back down, routing it away from the exhaust pipes and screwed them back in.
Had the battery off for a bit with the light switch on to clear any possible residual juice and then took it for a very refreshing drive :)

I've also learned the first time you drive one after reconnecting the battery give it some gas, not squalling tires or nothing, just stay on the high side of the spectrum a while as the computer is re-configuring itself. Even if you drive slow most of the time (as I mostly do) you'll find it does better by doing it that way

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bought some “new” rims today, found a deal too good to pass up, 4 ‘05 explorer rims with tires. 245/75/16. not sure how my 2.3/4.10 will like it but they aint much taller than the 235/15’s ive ran during the summer. If I dont like them I can always sell them or use them as trailer tires. funny thing is the date code makes these the newest tires I own, just 3 years old on the tires, about 1/2-3/4 tread left. not really good tread for snow so I will try them on in the spring. I will need some of those sholder lug nuts to use the center caps. grrr-100$ for 20 of those through napa.
Well don't go to napa unless you like wasting money.... Plus you only need 3 per wheel to hold the center cap on. If you turn the center cap over you will see there are only 3 spots where it is held instead of 5. So you only need 12 which you could easily get at a junkyard. All you gotta do is test fit them on a ranger already sitting there and make sure they are stripped out. My junk yard pulls the wheels off and sets them up on blocks so there's usually the lug nuts sitting by the truck. Oh and they are WAY less on Ebay than napa if you can wait a few days for shipping?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They sit a lot farther "in", I wouldn't go looking for the shoulder lug nuts for the hubcaps until you try them on your truck first.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
My credo
get outta my way, I'm falling!
check the offset and backspacing, those will pull the wheels in some.

oops,, I'm a slow typer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0l Vulcan v6 with low miles...
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock since 1998
My credo
That one guy with ADHD and doesn't stop talking about cars.
I feel like I've been lacking......I keep meaning to post pictures or anything like that but I just keep getting side tracked with other stuff......today I will most definitively try and post pics of something I did with or on Old Green.....my phone my let me.....fingers crossed.....

racsan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 (mostly)
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3/140-4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/15
My credo
built, not bought
They sit a lot farther "in", I wouldn't go looking for the shoulder lug nuts for the hubcaps until you try them on your truck first.
I noticed that they are a positive offset wheel, inside of wheel says 16 x 7. I thought maybe they were 8’s the tread seems so wide. Yes I will try them before looking for the “special” lug nuts. Im thinking with them setting in like they are I might need spacers or the fronts will hit the radius arms when turning. Really want to try them but Its getting colder out and just dont feel like changing tires back and forth. I do have some ranger centers that fasten on like the explorer ones, from a set of ‘97 “deer paw” wheels. I do have 5 of those lugs from a knuckle / rotor assy I got years ago, I could see what works or not with those. I just looked the new cost up out of curiosity. Id probably just pick some up at a junkyard when im there for something else. I could always resell this set of tires, maybe even make money. time will tell. I did take a old rotor with me when I bought them to make sure the center hole would work, I was pretty sure bolt pattern was right. tiny rotor meant for 14’s looked small inside a 16” rim.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I noticed that they are a positive offset wheel, inside of wheel says 16 x 7. I thought maybe they were 8’s the tread seems so wide. Yes I will try them before looking for the “special” lug nuts. Im thinking with them setting in like they are I might need spacers or the fronts will hit the radius arms when turning. Really want to try them but Its getting colder out and just dont feel like changing tires back and forth. I do have some ranger centers that fasten on like the explorer ones, from a set of ‘97 “deer paw” wheels. I do have 5 of those lugs from a knuckle / rotor assy I got years ago, I could see what works or not with those. I just looked the new cost up out of curiosity. Id probably just pick some up at a junkyard when im there for something else. I could always resell this set of tires, maybe even make money. time will tell. I did take a old rotor with me when I bought them to make sure the center hole would work, I was pretty sure bolt pattern was right. tiny rotor meant for 14’s looked small inside a 16” rim.
My inlaws neighbor had them on like a '02 for awhile, they were offset enough to look kinda weird. Like 1-1/2"-2" farther in per wheel.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Not at all. When the frost is on the pumpkin, that's the time for..........

I literally meant Frost was on the pumpkins.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I literally meant Frost was on the pumpkins.
As in the one you make pie out of, and carve for Halloween. Even with my dirty mind, I knew that. :)

Unfortunately, with so many people around here claiming ownership of that gutter, you have to be REALLY specific ;)