• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Urgent help - ABS warning light

GreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys

Greetings from FRF :D (thought it would be wise to play on two horses :icon_thumby:)

I had a ABS warning light since i bought the truck, but now i need to fix before 7July or i will loose my plates :bawling:

It's a 97', 2WD, 2.3 with 4WABS ABS.

I messed around a bit yesterday, taking apart and assemble all sensor plugs and various other wire's @ the ABS system.

I switched around the relays for the 4WABS in the relay box and after i put the ignition on the warning light was gone! But now seems to throw a code?

See vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/enfnn23am87r7ik/2014-06-14 16.21.57.mov

Of what i read it should not throw codes via warning light's as it is after 95'?

Oh, and when i put ignition on now, i can hear the relay's click in the warning compartment and they turn the warning light off, so good right?

Anyway, hope someone can budge in with advices of what to check. I will reset ECU/PCM with 2 hours, have not done that after the warning light went out!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
These systems are almost impossible to diagnose without having the codes stored in the control module.

Generally my advice for fixing an ABS light on those old systems is to remove the bulb from the instrument cluster and get on with you life.

GreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
These systems are almost impossible to diagnose without having the codes stored in the control module.

Generally my advice for fixing an ABS light on those old systems is to remove the bulb from the instrument cluster and get on with you life.

Oh yes indeed, you are totally right... What do you think the previous owner did?

Now, i have that marked on a paper that needs to be corrected before 7 July, else its not street legal due to Danish law.

So, when i go down the 7 July i bring the needs of whats need to corrected and he WILL check if the bulb lights upon ignition, as it should...

It was just the previous owners luck they did not check for bulb self test, and now it my problem :sad:

So yes, i totally agree, i could not care less of the ABS working - But, it needs to be fixed.

I have a contact that has the proper reader for ABS codes, BUT - i want to make sure it's not flashing a code and the reader would show me the same, as its not free :D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm not sure about the Ranger ABS, but I recently had to borrow a Pontiac Montana while my Ranger is being rebuilt. The ABS warning is on and it flashes on the dashes all the time.

While prowling around underneath to find something I dropped, I noticed one of the connectors hanging loose. I traced it to the front brake assembly and found that the connector was pulled right off. I'm pretty sure this is part of the problem...just have to find a suitable connector to splice it together.

So, you mentioned that you cleaned the sensors, but you might want to trace all the wires to the sensors to check for breaks...and maybe put some dielectric grease in all the connectors.

My new Ranger build will have ABS...or RABS I think...and I'm looking forward to disabling the whole thing if it gives me any issues...

GreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure about the Ranger ABS, but I recently had to borrow a Pontiac Montana while my Ranger is being rebuilt. The ABS warning is on and it flashes on the dashes all the time.

While prowling around underneath to find something I dropped, I noticed one of the connectors hanging loose. I traced it to the front brake assembly and found that the connector was pulled right off. I'm pretty sure this is part of the problem...just have to find a suitable connector to splice it together.

So, you mentioned that you cleaned the sensors, but you might want to trace all the wires to the sensors to check for breaks...and maybe put some dielectric grease in all the connectors.

My new Ranger build will have ABS...or RABS I think...and I'm looking forward to disabling the whole thing if it gives me any issues...
I am pretty sure I traced all wires in the front and no breaks! I guess will disassemble the whole system if I get the code read and it will not help me further.

Is there ANY way I can disable it and have the warning lamp not on ? Cause I really could not give a rats ass about the ABS - I ain't gonna use it, BUT I need the lamp lighting upon ignition and then go off.

Further, it did go back to being fully on in my last driving cycle :(

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am pretty sure I traced all wires in the front and no breaks! I guess will disassemble the whole system if I get the code read and it will not help me further.

Is there ANY way I can disable it and have the warning lamp not on ? Cause I really could not give a rats ass about the ABS - I ain't gonna use it, BUT I need the lamp lighting upon ignition and then go off.

Further, it did go back to being fully on in my last driving cycle :(
wire that light to the CEL :D behind cluster

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
my 94 has a loose plug down by the fuel filter. If I squeeze it just right, the ABS light goes out.

GreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my 94 has a loose plug down by the fuel filter. If I squeeze it just right, the ABS light goes out.
So that must be the wiring for the abs sensor of the differential ?

GreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I troubleshooted a bit yesterday. I went through the hole system and no wired cut etc. I cleaned all connectors as well.

The warning light goes out for 1 drive.. Then next drive it might light, hmm..

glindy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
93-97 have connection issues with the plug at the rear diff. Had one that went off/on each time I hit a bump. Clean plugs,use dielectric grease on contacts and secure it with a zip tie if needed to keep it tight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals