• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Twin I beam interchangeability

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m putting a stage 2 skyjacker 6” lift on my 1988 2wd ford ranger and want to remove the sway bar that attaches behind the I beams to the radius arms and put one on that mounts to the front with drop links. The 2wd rangers after 89 I believe all have the mount to the front style w the bracket that bolts to the I beam. Mine has that flat tip prong that sticks out where the bolt needs to go for the front style sway bar bracket. Will a 89-96 style I beam with the bolt holes in the front work on my 88 I have 5 trucks with nice free parts but don’t want to do all the work removing them if they won’t work. No one anywhere including ford can answer this question for me and Iv asked all the wrecking yards as well no one knows if they are interchangeable. Someone has to know. Thanks

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If you've got the parts you might think about swapping over to the 95-97 beams/spindles. You'll gain the twin piston calipers by doing it. It might be wise to only do that if you have power brakes though.

As for that metal spike that sticks down on the bottom of the frame rail, I'm also curious about that. I think someone mentioned that the brackets that allow the front sway bar to bolt up cover that spike.

Also, there may be some members here that would be interested in that radius arm mounted sway bar and it's brackets.. Possibly me.

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Are the 96 I beams the same size and length as the 88 though? They have a different style knuckle and brakes but that’s fine I have all the parts. My lift kit requires removing this sway bar/radius arms crossmember. If anyone wants the sway bar I’m taking off you can have it

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The prong I was referring to is on the axle beam itself in the front under below the spring

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
But the spike under the frame rail where the sway bar bracket/bushings needs to go. I was going to take it off and drill a hole right there for the bracket. The other hole in front of it will be the other hole for the bracket.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I've seen speculation that the 95-97 beam swap adds a small amount of track-width but no proof.

I gathered/assembled all of the parts from the 95-97 beam swap myself, on to my 87, but I didn't get to it this year. I made my own caliper brackets to use larger Sport-Trac rotors and got it all assembled successfully. So I'll know the answer to the track-width question next spring. lol

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
**** it im just going to cut that prong off the I beam and tap a bolt hole in it for sway bar bracket. Problem solved no need to swap beams

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
**** it im just going to cut that prong off the I beam and tap a bolt hole in it for sway bar bracket. Problem solved no need to swap beams
Post plenty of pics of your mods for us.

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just picked up my tires and wheels today. And I got the front half of my 6” lift on. I’ll post more pics tomorrow after the body lift is on All I know is This truck went from a lil old grandpa truck to one mean looking mother and Iv seen any other 2wd 1st gen ranger looking quite like this.

Attachments

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
33” 12.5 Swampers on 10 in wheels do not clear w a 6 in lift. A3” body lift prob won’t even be enough. Would adding a 2” coil spacer in the front be ok? Plus the body lift?

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’ll just do a shackle drop in the rear because an add a leaf might jack the back end up. It sits level right now I wanna keep it that way

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Have a similar "spike" or "prong" on the twin I beam on our E-450 based motor home. Its a jacking point for a scissors type jack, or a bottle jack with a saddle.
Grumpaw

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, that would never cross my mind. Thanks for that tidbit.

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I cut that prong off and mounted the sway bar bracket there. Seemed to work out fine and bolted right up to holes in the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals