• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TTB Long Travel Build Questions

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
Been lurkin on here a long time and have been through days worth of threads and searches and still need someone to tell me what to do....

Starting a long travel build up (NON DD, trail rig that can handle some mild desert race truck wannabe antics) of my 94 4.0l reg cab long box.

I've already built the rear axle (explorer 8.8, 4.56's, welded diff, gnarly (LPS?) aluminum cover, 1/2" plate truss), and will be doing a chevy leaf spring swap w flipped perches and 7" shackles.

Up front I'm doin home-brew cut/turn and radius arms and would (obviously) like to run coil overs, but budget wise will be running coils/shocks.

So I'm real horny to order some coils and shocks, but I'm still on the fence between 6" SJ coils and 5" eibach coils (briefly thought about xj and eb coils but haven't been convinced).

As well, I'm killing myself tryin to pick a shock! I like the idea of rancho 9000's adjustability, but since there will be some go-fast involved, it seems like I need remote reservoir units... And travel length: using f250 shock mounts I think I'm gonna need 12-14" travel (18" collapsed, 30" extended)?

Same goes for rear shocks: 16" travel and fab a bed cage to mount? And as for type: remote reservoir (fox, bilstein, rancho... i dont care) or rancho 9000, bilstein 5150, or other???

Anyways, I know I'm attempting the impossible: "building it right the first time", and I guess I do have a dd 94 that can use the first round of coil/shock tryouts, but still tryin not to waste much money in the process.

Somebody please tell me what to do... and thanks for the help so far!

Also, will be posting pics and documenting the build soon.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you are looking for a down and dirty system that works, then look for copykat's bronco. He's running bronco coil and rancho shocks. I've ridden in the truck many times and can't wait to get the setup on my ranger. He's completely redoing the front end with a D44 TTB, and I get his old setup.:yahoo:

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
damn yous guys, makin me think for myself!!

ordered 6" sj coils today, 12" front, 15" rear travel rancho 9000's today plus some other junk.

guess i'll have to test for myself how much better a remote reservoir is vs. a monotube (2x as good if price is any indication...). then i'll have to throw down on some c/o's and see how much better those are than remote reservoirs w/ coils... at least the dd will get sorted out in the process!

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
started a build thread in rbv's under construction.
may turn out to be way more trail rig than prerunner (especially since i plan on running 37" boggaz...), so maybe the dd will have to get coilovered-up. either way, i'm gonna be jumpin somethin soon

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals