• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Goals For 2020

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Sockets and wrenches - metric 5.5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19 and 21 will disassemble the whole truck except occasionally you need a 12 point 8mm and 12mm wrench for the driveshaft bolts and a T30 torx. T50 and T55 for seat belt bolts and bed bolts.

The problem with saying "what tools do I need" is that sometimes you need a shallow, deep, deep swivel, flex gearwrench and a standard open end wrench, all in 13mm, plus a ratchet, several extensions and your wizard wand to do one job. Other times it's just personal preference, some guys do bellhousing bolts from below with a socket and some do it from above with a wrench. So different tools required. I have basics because anything more than minor repairs is going to require a shop with more tools than I'm willing to carry with me.
This is kind of my thoughts as well, what tools should I really carry because I'm not very mechanically minded, well I should say I can do the stuff but when I get frustrated with things not coming apart tools and parts tend to go flying and the vehicle goes to the scrap yard...so maybe its best to just not bother with any tools at all, I mean I pay a ridiculous amount for insurance IMO so I'd think calling a wrecker would make more sense LOL.

I think I've had a couple of tire blowouts, a dead battery, corroded battery terminal issues, 1 bad starter, but everything else I managed to at least limp into town with or was already in town in the case of the starter. I've thought about carrying one of those lithium jump packs at least, not very helpful having jumper cables if nobody else is around.

If something catastrophic fails (i.e. engine, transmission, axle) the vehicle will go to the nearest scrap yard anyhow

TOOLS:
1. Jumper cables, booster pack
2. Working jack (with a couple of pieces of wood to help keep it from sinking if needed, and a couple of wheel chocks if needed
3. Lug wrench (one that actually fits the vehicle)
4. Assortment of combination wrenches (SAE/Metric), sockets, extensions
5. Maybe a cordless impact?

PARTS:
1. Starter
2. TFI Module

Hmm, what else on both lists?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would add duct tape, some baling wire, electrical tape, and some zip ties to add to the list. Throw in a crecent wrench, slip joint pliers, and common pliers in with the tools. Maybe a couple spare hose clamps as well for one of those times you need to "Southern Engineer" it well enough to get it home or to a garage.

Since my impression was the original question was geared more for the off road crowd, recovery gear as well. Farm jack, straps, recovery boards, a small shovel, and a small axe mattock. Perhaps a felling axe as well for downed trees on the trail. One could really get into some money and into the weeds with this.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I would add duct tape, some baling wire, electrical tape, and some zip ties to add to the list. Throw in a crecent wrench, slip joint pliers, and common pliers in with the tools. Maybe a couple spare hose clamps as well for one of those times you need to "Southern Engineer" it well enough to get it home or to a garage.

Since my impression was the original question was geared more for the off road crowd, recovery gear as well. Farm jack, straps, recovery boards, a small shovel, and a small axe mattock. Perhaps a felling axe as well for downed trees on the trail. One could really get into some money and into the weeds with this.
Very true, at what point do you say enough is enough LOL, after the dang truck is sitting on the bump stops because of all the tools and gear you are carrying? HAHA!!!

I figure a tool bag with the common tools would suffice for most people. It it comes down to replacing parts on the side of the highway I'll call a wrecker, people drive like shit today and trying to work on a vehicle on the side of the road isn't the greatest of ideas.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Keep in mind I didn't read through 5 pages of text so some ideas may be repeated here:

How to keep TRS relevant in the future means the new production Rangers need to be included in the How To Tech sections. The more information and a source of knowledge for now new Rangers the more people will visit and, well like me, stick around. This would include every thing like what is already available for the '83-'11's like full engine specs, wiring diagrams, suspension differences ect. so that those that purchase them have a place to go for knowledge and talk to others about mods, dreams and current builds/changes of there Ranger.

More meets at large car shows for the TRS community to gather at, show and get the name out, not just mid west and west shows. Getting the name out is a big part of keeping the site and community relevant and what a good way to do so by hitting up shows that have people coming from multiple states.

Repair video sections. Common repairs that we all have to go through but the less skilled members and visitors may not have done before in the How to section. Once seeing how something is done it makes the job go quicker since you are not going about it the wrong way. Being all Ranger based it wouldn't step on others toes but be very helpful for the less technical shade tree mechanic. Write ups are good but there is no replacement for actually seeing what order things come apart in and how they come apart. Can be linked to a TRS youtube channel with your ideas of builds and off the wall things as well.

Since they released the '19 Ranger and eventually they will become old why not start the data base now as you can get your hands on the information

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very true, at what point do you say enough is enough LOL, after the dang truck is sitting on the bump stops because of all the tools and gear you are carrying? HAHA!!!

I figure a tool bag with the common tools would suffice for most people. It it comes down to replacing parts on the side of the highway I'll call a wrecker, people drive like shit today and trying to work on a vehicle on the side of the road isn't the greatest of ideas.
First layer:

Top layer:

(Klutch is my air compressor)

Fluids tote plus ignition spares, jumper cables and Coleman stove

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
One thing I forgot to throw in for the longest time was a simple rag or two. Really nice when you've done a u-joint on the trail and have grease everywhere.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
First layer:

Top layer:

(Klutch is my air compressor)

Fluids tote plus ignition spares, jumper cables and Coleman stove

That's not too bad...if you have a Ranger, but pretty space limited in a Bronco 2, especially if the back seats need to be used...probably hardly ever in my case since I'm by myself, so I guess maybe a couple of totes worth of tools, and some parts would be fine.

Thanks.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Definitely should probably think of trying some local get togethers and such. Everyone is busy and usually on a budget, but it can be done. Years ago I met a couple people from BII.org a couple times at a local place. Hang out and get attention. I know when we were at Southington there was a couple people that mentioned it was cool seeing the RBV crowd together

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals