• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trade in Vs Private sale?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Went over and test drove an edge platinum today. Decent gizmo, not my style but it drives and handles nice. $40,260 was the "pre negotiating" price. I said I'm trading in the mkx and he quoted me 10k trade in which I laughed at but he said he can work with me and get a better price when I bring it in for them to look over.

I told him I wont buy until your shop finishes fixing the peice of junk fiesta you sold me less than two years ago. He laughed thinking I was joking. I was not...

Looking at online prices I think 14-15k is fair for the mkx. And $40k actually seems reasonable for the platinum I drove. So if they drop 5 on the price or come up 5 on the trade in I think I'm getting a good deal. I'll still argue and complain for a better price or free crap, but that would be my minimum acceptable price at this point. Dealing with financing rates I assume will be another haggle.

Last edited:

RangerVet

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordRanger Edge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
From here on down it's uphill all the way!
I just watched a YouTube video by the Car Wizard who is a mechanic out of Kansas. He said a new Ford Edge is one of the worst Fords to buy. Do a search for his channel and watch his latest vid or maybe the one just before the latest.
Also watch some You Tube videos by a mechanic out of Houston who has 50 years of experience. His advice is to buy a used Toyota or a Honda and to stay away from Variable Ration Auto transmissions. Search for Scotty Kilmer. Here I will save you the trouble.

RangerVet

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordRanger Edge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Here is the Car Wizard:

RangerVet

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordRanger Edge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Both You Tubers are very knowledgeable and well respected. More:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Scotty Kilmer is dumb as a box of hammers, and no where near as useful.

I dont want a manual transmission toyota celica.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Back on the first page about always paying cash and credit scores . It's a little late to help you instantly , but here's what I keep telling the daughter ( who keeps ignoring me ).

Get a credit card, any card , don't worry about rates or terms . ( Two is even better , say a regular one and a gas station card ). Once a month charge a tank of gas, sixpack of beer , somthing you would be buying anyway with cash . Then pay it in full each time the bill comes . Dosen,t cost you anything in interest , and gives you a good credit history .

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Back on the first page about always paying cash and credit scores . It's a little late to help you instantly , but here's what I keep telling the daughter ( who keeps ignoring me ).

Get a credit card, any card , don't worry about rates or terms . ( Two is even better , say a regular one and a gas station card ). Once a month charge a tank of gas, sixpack of beer , somthing you would be buying anyway with cash . Then pay it in full each time the bill comes . Dosen,t cost you anything in interest , and gives you a good credit history .

Yea, I've been told this. I do actually have a credit card somewhere. I've never used it. Haven't used credit since I was in my 20's. The whole concept of credit scores is stupid to me. I pay cash for everything and owe no one anything so I get worse credit than some idiot who has more bills than they can pay?

I'm paying cash for the escape (at the dealer), Me and my mom went down to the bank (we use the same bank) to see what the options were for a personal loan. The lady was really nice, explained that personal loans are generally higher interest than an auto loan BUT cheaper IF the loan is shorter and even cheaper IF we secure the loan with collateral. I got bored and stopped paying attention lol. Basically if me and my mom sign the loan (to use her credit score) I put my house as collateral like a mini mortgage and have the loan term for 1 year my interest will be practically zilch.

So that's the plan. Take out a 25k loan, go down to the dealer with a mkx and 25 grand cash and say gimmie an escape.

Should be ready to go next week.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Finally got all the boring nonsense done. Taking momma to go pick up her new edge titanium tonight. I dropped the mkx off earlier today and we agreed on 13,500 trade in. Not what I wanted but he came down 2,600 on the edge so I'm still where I wanna be.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals