• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing

47papa65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Transmission
Automatic
anyone how much weight i can safely pull with just a ball on my bumper? extended cab,v-6

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
I would say not much. I only got a small trailer with nothing has tear
not to exceed 1500 lbs would be a good safe weight

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use my ball for a tow point to pull people out of the mud, and have had no problems so far... But actually pulling a trailer?
From a quick search online, I found explorers could do 350 tongue weight, 3500 towing on the bumper ball. Try looking for something stamped in the metal on the bumper around the ball...

When I bought a ball for my bronco II bumper, it was a 3500lb ball that fit in the hole. I dont think I would ever pull that much weight on the bumper ball, but in all honesty they are pretty sturdy.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yeah the bumper should have markings showing what the safe rated load is.

also dont forget you have to stop all that so take that into account

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
keep in mind: it's not so much about the rating, but what you can tow SAFELY!
step bumper, 2000# trailer weight, 200# tongue weight. now, would i pull that much on a bumper ball... no way! do yourself a favor and just get the frame mounted hitch. new or (undamaged) used, it's so much safer and easier to use. and if you plan on pulling any trailer close to the 2000#, i'd also get some trailer brakes.
but that's just me.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
keep in mind: it's not so much about the rating, but what you can tow SAFELY!.
+1 on that,

i dragged a 2 place snowmachine trailer with a couple sleds and at least 500 lbs of gear (probably more) with my 91 2.3l manual to a hunting location 120 miles away, and it was pretty sketchy on the ice. I cruised at 55 in 4th floored on the flats though.

I had very little control unless the sleds were balanced well over the axle of the trailer, and it still pushed me around alot on icy corners.

I probably could have hauled more (with some patience, 70 stock horses ...) but i would've had even less control.

My stock bumper is definately adequate for as much (and more?) than a sane person should tow with a ranger.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've seen a number of Rangers with twisted up bumpers from towing.

Me? I don't tow anything without a hitch.

My Ranger has a Class III, I bought it through Summit Racing years ago for about $115 shipped to my door.

My F-150 has a Class IV (it's not a true class, but it's sometimes used to distinguish hitches that reach farther back on the frame to mount). I got it used with one of the ears tweaked a lil for the cost of fishing it out of a scrap pile. Lil work with a torch and it's good as new.

The F-350s here both have a 5/8" thick steel hitch plate welded and gusseted to the end of the frame rails.

My dad's Ranger has a class III receiver that we put on and he's looking for a 5-th wheel hitch for it.

I have towed Bronco IIs on tow dollys behind my Ranger and I have towed my choptop along with a friend's built YJ on 34's behind my Ranger on a tow bar. The only sketchy part was trying to get going from a stop on a hill. And trailer brakes would have been nice.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I threw a 5x12 loaded up with heavy steel shelving on my bumper and went to town. Town being about 100 miles from where we picked up the shelves. Bumper is still attached and as straight as ever. Not sure of the exact poundage, but I needed low range to get moving if I stopped on even a slight grade.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals