• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torsen or track-loc?

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Its for a 2wd, duratec 2.3, 2009 Mazda truck. I currently have a 3.73, 7.5 inches open diff. I want to upgrade my axle for two main reasons:
I need 4.10 gears for towing my small camper trailer, it's not that bad but will be better going uphill a little faster and easier...

Second reason is I'm in Eastern Canada (Quebec) we get a lot of snow and ice, and want a LSD.

I've found a torsen axle with 35000 miles for 515$ cdn and a track loc with 110000 miles for 356$

Which one would be better for ice and snow driving? I had LSD in the past on other vehicles and like them very much.

Don't know how a torsen works on ice and snow....

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Torsen is gear driven LS and Track Loc uses clutch discs LS.

Torsen is considered a heavy duty LS, Track Loc medium duty

The 4cylinder or V6 engine would be fine with either

For the $150 difference and lower miles I would go with Torsen

But I don't think there would be any noticeable difference in your setup, with snow or ice

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a trac-lock in mine. Works like a locker in snow/ice, both tires turn. Wants to kick the rear out a lot in 2wd... great fun.

Personally unless you run chains or something I would not want it on a 2wd in snow, mine needs 4wd to keep it pointed the direction I want to go. I was all great guns to put it in my dd too, after doing the Ranger I just regeared it and left the open carrier in it (it is also 4wd)

Mine also has mud tires and no weight in the rear, all I do in the winter is bust snow drifts for giggles in my field (I don't drive it on the road in the winter) so your results may vary that way.

Last edited:

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I really enjoyed lsd in winter here, we get used to drive on ice and snow, i do put 300lbs of sand bags betterment the wheel wells and use skinny studded winter tires. It does pretty good right now, but I have to leave the truck parked outside for extended periods ( a week or so) to go to work, when I come back the truck is usually buried under 1 foot of snow and with the action of the sun on nice days the wheels are stuck in the ice... My concern was that a torsen would act more like a locker turning corners and not like a limited slip, so the torsen I will get, thanks for the answers.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
* between the wheel wells

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Finally found a 8.8 4.10 gears limited slip with really low miles for 350$ cdn going to check that out on Friday...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals