Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Its for a 2wd, duratec 2.3, 2009 Mazda truck. I currently have a 3.73, 7.5 inches open diff. I want to upgrade my axle for two main reasons:
I need 4.10 gears for towing my small camper trailer, it's not that bad but will be better going uphill a little faster and easier...

Second reason is I'm in Eastern Canada (Quebec) we get a lot of snow and ice, and want a LSD.

I've found a torsen axle with 35000 miles for 515$ cdn and a track loc with 110000 miles for 356$

Which one would be better for ice and snow driving? I had LSD in the past on other vehicles and like them very much.

Don't know how a torsen works on ice and snow....

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Torsen is gear driven LS and Track Loc uses clutch discs LS.

Torsen is considered a heavy duty LS, Track Loc medium duty

The 4cylinder or V6 engine would be fine with either

For the $150 difference and lower miles I would go with Torsen

But I don't think there would be any noticeable difference in your setup, with snow or ice

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a trac-lock in mine. Works like a locker in snow/ice, both tires turn. Wants to kick the rear out a lot in 2wd... great fun.

Personally unless you run chains or something I would not want it on a 2wd in snow, mine needs 4wd to keep it pointed the direction I want to go. I was all great guns to put it in my dd too, after doing the Ranger I just regeared it and left the open carrier in it (it is also 4wd)

Mine also has mud tires and no weight in the rear, all I do in the winter is bust snow drifts for giggles in my field (I don't drive it on the road in the winter) so your results may vary that way.

Last edited:

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I really enjoyed lsd in winter here, we get used to drive on ice and snow, i do put 300lbs of sand bags betterment the wheel wells and use skinny studded winter tires. It does pretty good right now, but I have to leave the truck parked outside for extended periods ( a week or so) to go to work, when I come back the truck is usually buried under 1 foot of snow and with the action of the sun on nice days the wheels are stuck in the ice... My concern was that a torsen would act more like a locker turning corners and not like a limited slip, so the torsen I will get, thanks for the answers.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
* between the wheel wells

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Finally found a 8.8 4.10 gears limited slip with really low miles for 350$ cdn going to check that out on Friday...