• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Toe Specs

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I know there are tons of people on here that do alignments so I will just ask. I hit a big ol' pothole the other day and now my trucksicle wanders and pulls right. Checked the toe and it is 3/8 out. Every place around here wants a ridiculous amount of dough to only adjust Mr. Tie-rods, so I figured I would do it myself. My question is what are the specs for toe-in? If I remember right it is something like 1/16" or 1/32" in, but it has been a while. I have asked around town and can't get a straight answer from anyone.

I know there are a few threads about adjusting toe, but I never found an answer looking through them.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Always check tech library and the magazine first.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/steering_tech.htm

Down at the bottom of that article it says:

"Toe alignment:

You want the tires to be dead-parallel with each other to no more than 1/8" or so toe in (be sure your tires run true if you're using a tape measure to check it off the tire treads, a 1/4" or more wobble in tires is not uncommon, especially with bias-ply tires)."

Good luck! :icon_thumby:

kshack11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
really your best way of getting an alignment cheap is to have a friend that works at a shop, but another then that i dont think you can align it yourself cause parts move and wear out all the time. especially when you hit something. i work at a tire shop and i do alignments all day and some of the slightest turns on the toe can through off your alignment, therefore causing bad wear in the tires and making you pull. especially if its an older truck and has never been aligned its probably got camber/caster out of alignment too. you might want to get it done. Just sayin.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Firestone has lifetime alignments for about $160...pays for itself in two stops.

I've used mine 6 times now, and only paid for a new set of bushings once ($50) so I'd say its a pretty good deal.

Most of the time though I set the toe myself...Firestone can never get the steering wheel centered perfect, whereas I can :icon_thumby:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I always set the toe myself. 1/16"-1/8" in.

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya, I forgot about checking the magazine but did check the library... awkward. Anyways, thanks for sharing the link.

I would love to go to Firestone to get the lifetime deal, but as far as I know, there isn't one within 150 miles of here. So driving there wouldn't be an ideal situation with the toe this far out. I have had the truck aligned about 8 months ago and odd tire wear has been not noticeable so I am pretty confident on the caster & camber. Although, if I hit the hole hard enough to knock the toe out that far, I might have moved the rest. It is worth having checked anyways.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hitting a pothole usually won't change camber/cast specs unless you bent the beam(s), bent the radius arm(s) or settled the coils more.

Usually only toe changes so if you re-set the toe, you should be fine...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals