• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To drop or not to drop the front diff?

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I have oil leaking slowly from my front diff cover. I know I should really drop it to get a nice seal, but has anyone ever tried resealing it while still on? I’m not too worried about cleaning the inside out because I was able to get it pretty well with the suction gun. That space is so small though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can be done. You might get lucky and get a good seal when putting it back on. Like you said, there isn't much space to work or clean the sealing surface. I can't remember if I was able to complete get the cover off or not when I was changing the fluid on an early 2000's Explorer Sport. I don't think I was able to because the ring gear wouldn't allow enough room. Anyway, I got lucky and it didn't leak when it was all said and done.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
That is good to know. I am concerned about not being able to cover the gear when it is open and all of the old gasket junk falling in. It doesn’t look like I will be able to get it over the gear.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Not easier but worth it. That’s part of the problem is if I drop it I will want to replace a whole lot of other things... which means $$$.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m considering drilling and tapping the bottom of the differential housing when it comes time to do mine so I only have to do it once and be able to drain and fill with it remaining in the truck. The plan is to have everything I need for regearing it and (hopefully) installing a limited slip all in one shot. Assuming Torsen hasn’t stopped making them since they have been out of stock for quite some time.

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
I am planning to tap mine when I drop it. I can't believe they didn't put a drain plug in or place it so you can get the cover off (finally got a pic below).

You're putting LSD in front? What do you drive on? The terrain here in CO is way too rocky and dry for that.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Dana 35 differentials in general are not locker friendly, especially SLA Dana 35s. As far as what I drive no, nothing yet but if I want to go on one of Jim Oak's adventures and since I'm in Search and Rescue (one just never knows), the most bad a$$3d 4X4 I can setup and not break things, the better. Most over landing stuff doesn't need more than an open diff but there are those times when something more than an open diff in the front would make life so much better. Regardless, the back is getting an Auburn ECTED. Most of my driving is on road or improved trails but again, SAR and Jim Oaks. But I digress.

Yes, I'll be dropping the front axle the first time and take steps to make sure I don't need to do it ever again unless I break something.

Edit, I think you misunderstand how an LSD works. They have some slip and give to them. It's the locker that locks everything together, solid and can break things. Traction wise, the locker is king in the off road world but an LSD used correctly will get you most places a front locker will without the worry of breakage.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What?

I only ran D35s with a locker. Lock everything. You are the one with the gas pedal under your foot. It only breaks if you decide to break it. It's better with a locker everytime.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
SLA has CV joints in them. Not locker friendly. Can you do it? Yep. I don't want to be replacing broken CV shafts because I pushed them to hard. Solid axle Dana 35s are much more forgiving.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals