• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The great spark plug question

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As long as you keep compression under 9.5:1 you should be fine with 87octane, boost will change that of course

Since you are running tune-able software you may be able to add a Knock sensor to the engine so you could run 87 octane even with boost

The 2.3l ecoboost can run on 87 octane because it has a knock sensor, yes you do lose power with 87 octane but you don't ping/knock, and you can always add some 93 octane anytime you want the extra power

So check to see if your software supports a knock sensor, it should, and which type/frequency

The 2.9l is "noisy", lol, but you should be able to find a knock sensor that can tell the difference between "typewriter" and pinging noise :)

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I was gonna say what ron said, i sware.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You don't have too much timing in it by chance?

There is PC based tuning (flash, etc) and chips, and then you get in to entire ECU remaps, emulation, etc... Then there are standalone engine computer systems... The list is never ending.

AEM
Haltech
Alientech
CMD/Flashtech
Magic Motorsports
MPPS-AMT/Cartech
Dimsport
VC Powerteam/Swiftec
COBB Accessport
Diablo
Superchips
SCT
BAMA
Moates (they have tons of options - Quarterhorse, Binary Editor, Paul Booth software, etc)
Tweecer
Motec
ProEFI
Wolf3D
Adaptronic
MaxxECU
TunerPRO
AT Autotuner
HP Tuners
EFI Live
TunerTools
UpRev
Carputing
EFIanalytics Tunderstudio
RedlineWeber
Autocal
Stage3Motorsports
BigStuff3

It depends on the make, model, ECU, engine, year, etc.. AND what you want to do.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
All this to make 147 hp?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
All this to make 147 hp?
Joking aside, I'm tempted to leave the keys in it during the trail ride in September for those that want to test it vs the ohv.

Really anxious to hit a dyno with it this summer before the supercharger. Was going to head over to TPG tuning in Blairsville, PA, but they're "imports only." Communists.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
As long as you keep compression under 9.5:1 you should be fine with 87octane, boost will change that of course

Since you are running tune-able software you may be able to add a Knock sensor to the engine so you could run 87 octane even with boost

The 2.3l ecoboost can run on 87 octane because it has a knock sensor, yes you do lose power with 87 octane but you don't ping/knock, and you can always add some 93 octane anytime you want the extra power

So check to see if your software supports a knock sensor, it should, and which type/frequency

The 2.9l is "noisy", lol, but you should be able to find a knock sensor that can tell the difference between "typewriter" and pinging noise :)
I thought about looking for the original one that was in the 86-87 2.9, but found out where it was located, so just going to use a GM/or Benz one instead and set the software up for it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You don't have too much timing in it by chance?

There is PC based tuning (flash, etc) and chips, and then you get in to entire ECU remaps, emulation, etc... Then there are standalone engine computer systems... The list is never ending.

AEM
Haltech
Alientech
CMD/Flashtech
Magic Motorsports
MPPS-AMT/Cartech
Dimsport
VC Powerteam/Swiftec
COBB Accessport
Diablo
Superchips
SCT
BAMA
Moates (they have tons of options - Quarterhorse, Binary Editor, Paul Booth software, etc)
Tweecer
Motec
ProEFI
Wolf3D
Adaptronic
MaxxECU
TunerPRO
AT Autotuner
HP Tuners
EFI Live
TunerTools
UpRev
Carputing
EFIanalytics Tunderstudio
RedlineWeber
Autocal
Stage3Motorsports
BigStuff3

It depends on the make, model, ECU, engine, year, etc.. AND what you want to do.
Probably do have too much timing in. Cannot find the original fuel and spark maps to save myself.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just get a 4.0l SOHC knock sensor and bolt it to the block, either side

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm still curious if this will assist with a ping/knock issue. I'd really like to be able to not keep using 93 to avoid knock without backing my timing off.
You want to run a supercharger and not use 93? Bwahaha! I have an 04 Lightning, not stock, and if I cannot find 93, I just stay on the low end of the boost range. Mine makes 12 pounds, and without 93, I ain't going there. I'll run it up to six or so, but not all the way. I've got a new lower pulley, and it will eventually make 14 pounds. Also removing the stock Eaton blower and putting on a Magnum Powers blower. Much more efficient and makes less heat. This summer, gathering all the parts for other things I'm going to do while the blower is off.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You want to run a supercharger and not use 93? Bwahaha! I have an 04 Lightning, not stock, and if I cannot find 93, I just stay on the low end of the boost range. Mine makes 12 pounds, and without 93, I ain't going there. I'll run it up to six or so, but not all the way. I've got a new lower pulley, and it will eventually make 14 pounds. Also removing the stock Eaton blower and putting on a Magnum Powers blower. Much more efficient and makes less heat. This summer, gathering all the parts for other things I'm going to do while the blower is off.
2.9 never came with a blower. Also, first forced induction build I've ever done. On an engine never designed for one.

Planned on keeping 91/93 in it once the blower was on. Trying to avoid this now. Ranger is winter daily driver. Alternate it with the SRT Challenger during the summer.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2.9 never came with a blower. Also, first forced induction build I've ever done. On an engine never designed for one.

Planned on keeping 91/93 in it once the blower was on. Trying to avoid this now. Ranger is winter daily driver. Alternate it with the SRT Challenger during the summer.
I know that no Ranger's came with a blower. And funny thing, but my 98 3.0 Ranger requires the use of premium. I usually run 91 in it. It pings on anything less. Always has, ever since I've owned it. There's nothing I can replace that hasn't been replaced. Likely due to the fact I have a chip that bumps up the timing, a MAC intake, and run no muffler in the exhaust. Runs great, is a tad loud. Needs 91 octane.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, I'm still curious if this will assist with a ping/knock issue. I'd really like to be able to not keep using 93 to avoid knock without backing my timing off.
You don't need a clean windshield, do you? Water injection!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I know that no Ranger's came with a blower. And funny thing, but my 98 3.0 Ranger requires the use of premium. I usually run 91 in it. It pings on anything less. Always has, ever since I've owned it. There's nothing I can replace that hasn't been replaced. Likely due to the fact I have a chip that bumps up the timing, a MAC intake, and run no muffler in the exhaust. Runs great, is a tad loud. Needs 91 octane.
I had a Toyota Celica like that. 1982 with the 24R. Would ping like crazy with anything less than 91 octane for the longest time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals