• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI to EDIS Thought Experiment

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Marc Emery (The Prince of Pot) changed the weed game in North America (possibly the entire world) for sure. He was doing some really interesting stuff way back when.. GPS guided autonomous submersible submarines that would surface when they hit a specific GPS coordinate, using the rivers.. Shipping extremely awesome strains of seed to the US even though he knew it was against the law..

A buddy ordered some of his seeds a long time ago when you could still get them to the US, before customs started really going after Mark's shipments. It grew mind blowing weed. A real skunky sensimilla and this was long before all of this super potent modern medical grade weed.
I'm really pissed my government acquiesced to the US and let M. Emery be prosecuted in the states for doing what was legal up here: selling seeds. I didn't follow it that closely so maybe there was something else involved?

IIRC he was convicted and received 5 years, some of which he did up here.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'm really pissed my government acquiesced to the US and let M. Emery be prosecuted in the states for doing what was legal up here: selling seeds. I didn't follow it that closely so maybe there was something else involved?
More than likely not. Once the US government decides that you're a problem, and that you're going to be punished, there's literally nothing you can do to stop it. It's unfortunate, to say the least.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
More than likely not. Once the US government decides that you're a problem, and that you're going to be punished, there's literally nothing you can do to stop it. It's unfortunate, to say the least.
With very few exceptions, such as Edward Snowden. So far...

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So back on topic here....
Having just dismantled a Cologne 4L engine, I've got all the EDIS stuff at hand as shown below. I've also got a 4.0 wiring harness, MAF, coil pack, and a couple early 90's 4L Ranger PCM's. With a Merkur Scorpio in the garage with a 2.9, it would seem to be a worthy recipient for a distributor to EDIS upgrade. I'm not worried about the 4L vs. 2.9 tune being slightly different. Between the MAF input and closed-loop operation, I'm confident the 4L PCM will run the 2.9 just fine. The two threaded holes in the 2.9 front cover for the crank trigger seem to be just a little differently spaced from the 4.0 cover, but that can be addressed by opening up the mounting holes. It's not an uber-precise spacing required there.

Anyone know if that oil pump drive-gear plug from the 4L that would replace the distributor would have the correct length? I'm assuming the pitch of the gear on the cam is the same between the 2.9 and 4.0, yes? Anything else I'm missing?

Cologne4L-EDIS.jpg

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m now a little disappointed that I read through 3 pages with no conclusions….

Seeing those parts @DPDISXR4Ti posted makes me want to ask more questions… I know the 4.0 is essentially a bored and stroked 2.9, but I’m not certain how truly valid that is. If it is valid, then theoretically 4.0 parts should fit a 2.9, so with the exception of having to program everything to work for a 2.9 on an aftermarket system like Microsquirt, everything needed to upgrade to a EDIS system on a 2.9 and even to upgrade the accessory drive to serpentine would be bolt on? Or am I way off base with this?

I have a 2.9 that’s waiting for me to put it back together and I had fully intended on doing as much upgrading and modifying that I could to it before it goes together. This gives me new ideas, lol.

Its also got me thinking that when I overhaul my F-150 I might want to get away from the distributor and TFI. Dump truck too for that matter. Those are both a little bit down the road right now, same as the 2.9, but I’d like to get a plan together and start collecting parts when I can…

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I’m now a little disappointed that I read through 3 pages with no conclusions….

Seeing those parts @DPDISXR4Ti posted makes me want to ask more questions… I know the 4.0 is essentially a bored and stroked 2.9, but I’m not certain how truly valid that is. If it is valid, then theoretically 4.0 parts should fit a 2.9, so with the exception of having to program everything to work for a 2.9 on an aftermarket system like Microsquirt, everything needed to upgrade to a EDIS system on a 2.9 and even to upgrade the accessory drive to serpentine would be bolt on? Or am I way off base with this?

I have a 2.9 that’s waiting for me to put it back together and I had fully intended on doing as much upgrading and modifying that I could to it before it goes together. This gives me new ideas, lol.

Its also got me thinking that when I overhaul my F-150 I might want to get away from the distributor and TFI. Dump truck too for that matter. Those are both a little bit down the road right now, same as the 2.9, but I’d like to get a plan together and start collecting parts when I can…
IIRC, the 4.0 block is physically bigger akin to the 351w vs 302 so a lot of the parts are similar but can't be directly transferred.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, the 4.0 block is physically bigger akin to the 351w vs 302 so a lot of the parts are similar but can't be directly transferred.
I only included the 4L front cover in the pic as a reference. Indeed it would NOT fit on a 2.9 as it's taller. I'm pretty sure the crank pulley would fit fine, but you would indeed need to switch from V to Micro-V belts. Usually that's not too difficult except for the A/C compressor. I might decide it's a good time to ditch A/C. :)

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
...so with the exception of having to program everything to work for a 2.9 on an aftermarket system like Microsquirt, everything needed to upgrade to a EDIS system on a 2.9 and even to upgrade the accessory drive to serpentine would be bolt on? Or am I way off base with this?
See my added comments above. I'm pretty confident that you could run a factory EEC-IV 4.0 PCM just fine.

As for the accessory brackets, I imagine the 4L brackets would not fit the 2.9 given the taller 4L block. I'm not certain of that however. But if you don't have A/C and perhaps go with electric power steering pump, all you need to do is put a Micro-V pulley on your alternator.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Anyone know if that oil pump drive-gear plug from the 4L that would replace the distributor would have the correct length? I'm assuming the pitch of the gear on the cam is the same between the 2.9 and 4.0, yes? Anything else I'm missing?
Hey, long time no talk. Hope all is well.

The short answer is that it will fit with modifications. The DOHC Scandinavian guys do this conversion.... iirc, they cut down the EDIS plug from an American 4L.

Skogen Racing occasionally sells them as well.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The short answer is that it will fit with modifications. The DOHC Scandinavian guys do this conversion.... iirc, they cut down the EDIS plug from an American 4L.

Skogen Racing occasionally sells them as well.
I was out in the garage tonight and decided to try fitting the 4L oil pump drive "plug" into the spare 2.9 block. First I checked it dimensionally compared to the 2.9 distributor and everything seemed to match. The plug goes in fine but something seems to be stopping it from going in the final ~3/8" or so. Any idea what exactly needs to be cut down?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I was out in the garage tonight and decided to try fitting the 4L oil pump drive "plug" into the spare 2.9 block. First I checked it dimensionally compared to the 2.9 distributor and everything seemed to match. The plug goes in fine but something seems to be stopping it from going in the final ~3/8" or so. Any idea what exactly needs to be cut down?

You need more block.

Iirc the 2.9 has significantly smaller injectors....

If you use the early style 4.0 setup you won't need a cam sensor.

Of course that may or may not matter depending on system.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Iirc the 2.9 has significantly smaller injectors....
Yes, the 4L has 19's, and so if going with the 4L PCM you'd need those. That's easy - that's just about the most common size out there so it would be easy to toss a new set of 19's in there.

If you use the early style 4.0 setup you won't need a cam sensor.
Right, I don't think the cam sensor arrived on the scene until EEC5 in 1995 or '96. So I'd just use one of these...
Cologne4L-OilDrivePlug.jpg

Here's one that's got the cam sensor and has been modified for use on the 2.9. It would seem the solution is to space the gear down and add a washer. But I'm not sure how this is done as the gear doesn't just press off. There's a ridge there on the shaft that the gear abuts. Worse case, I can just leave the 2.9 distributor in there as the "dummy plug" but it would be nice to do a cleaner install.
Cologne4L-OilDriveSensorMod.jpg

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Weird, I just got a notification that someone had posted asking what engine management I was intending to run with EDIS, but the message isn't here. <shrugs>

Any way, there's a couple different options...
1) Megajolt Light Jr. just to run the ignition and continue to run stock PCM for fueling
2) Megasquirt (or any other after-market PCM that uses EDIS for ignition)
3) 1990+ 4L OHV factory PCM that natively uses EDIS and MAF

Door #3 is what I'm currently favoring.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Back to the 4L oil drive "dummy" plug, I'm having trouble figuring out what is different between the 2.9 distributor and the 4L plug. As you can see from the pic below, they mostly look and dimensionally measure the same. But yet the 4L part won't go all the way in.

Cologne4L-OilDrivePlugV29.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals