• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp gauge not working, but...

Spence2015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
...I’m getting temp data fine from my OBDII reader. Also, ABS light and Check Gauge light keep coming on intermittently, but no codes are being generated, and my fuel level gauge is working, but squirrely. Could it just be that side of the cluster going bad? New member here.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A. The temp data from the scanner is coming from the temperature SENSOR not the temperature SENDER. The sender only works the guage, the sensor feeds info to the computer. The entire gauge and sender can fail and the computer will still have a temp reading.

B. Most inexpensive scanners will not read ABS or vehicle specific codes so just because your scanner isn't picking them up doesn't mean they are not there.

C. Yes its possible the cluster has corrosion, loose ground, loose connection ect causing the gauges to not function.

Is there any actual driveability issues?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Usually the SENDER is bad when temp gauge doesn't work
Picture of sender and sensor here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/general-technical-electrical-18/68679d1416398152-coolant-temp-sensor-issues-coolant-sensor.jpg

Sender has 1 wire, sensor has 2 wires
Sender is 12volts, sensor is 5volts so NOT the same

Check gauge light is most likely because temp gauge isn't showing temp

Check brake fluid level in Master it can turn on ABS light when low, also a Red Brake light

Do you have 2 wheel ABS(rear wheels only) or 4 wheel ABS(4WABS)?

Look in the engine bay, next to brake master cylinder, if you don't see this: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/suspension-tech-36/35576d1330041880-2000-ranger-2-wheel-abs-4-wheel-abs-please-help-img00115-20110226-1819.jpg

Then you have 2WABS

Spence2015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
A. The temp data from the scanner is coming from the temperature SENSOR not the temperature SENDER. The sender only works the guage, the sensor feeds info to the computer. The entire gauge and sender can fail and the computer will still have a temp reading.

B. Most inexpensive scanners will not read ABS or vehicle specific codes so just because your scanner isn't picking them up doesn't mean they are not there.

C. Yes its possible the cluster has corrosion, loose ground, loose connection ect causing the gauges to not function.

Is there any actual driveability issues?
Sorry for the late reply.
Yes it’s a super cheap scanner.
No, no perceivable driving issues (knock on wood).
When taking the cluster cowl off I found out it was cracked already so I didn’t dig any deeper into the cluster until I can order a replacement, because I don’t want it falling apart on me.

Spence2015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
+1 ^^^^

Usually the SENDER is bad when temp gauge doesn't work
Picture of sender and sensor here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/general-technical-electrical-18/68679d1416398152-coolant-temp-sensor-issues-coolant-sensor.jpg

Sender has 1 wire, sensor has 2 wires
Sender is 12volts, sensor is 5volts so NOT the same

Check gauge light is most likely because temp gauge isn't showing temp

Check brake fluid level in Master it can turn on ABS light when low, also a Red Brake light

Do you have 2 wheel ABS(rear wheels only) or 4 wheel ABS(4WABS)?

Look in the engine bay, next to brake master cylinder, if you don't see this: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/suspension-tech-36/35576d1330041880-2000-ranger-2-wheel-abs-4-wheel-abs-please-help-img00115-20110226-1819.jpg

Then you have 2WABS
Ok, definitely 2WABS

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals